Weber BBQ brush will melt

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Well, I am going to waterseal my back deck tomorrow, so I put the brush inside my Q200 and got it ready to bring inside when I start doing the sealcoat. But, tonight I wanted to do a couple quick steaks for dinner. So, I fired up the Q and went inside to let it warm up. I come back out with the steaks and see little fire drips going into the grease tray. I had cleaned it out a few weeks ago, but figured it was just grease dripping. Nope, I open the grill cover to see my Weber grill brush melted to the grates. It is one of those 4mm thick stamped SS grates and it seems most of it didn't stick when I picked up the brush but there is still some in the bottom of the grill. Well, now I guess I will be breaking out the angle grinder and wire cup brush. Just add that to my long list of spring projects. I am sure weber uses a fairly high temp plastic for the handles, but it definitely won't withstand temps as high as 400 hahahahha.

Bruce, you have me on that one. I've never melted a weber branded brush in a Q200.

But I've cooked a few other things in other grills. I even melted something to the top of my Silver B, but thankfully it came clean.

I don't' remember what I was storing inside my Silver a few years back, but I removed the front burner knob and put it inside so I wouldn't start it by accident. Later I was wondering what happened to the knob and eventually I remembered.

Best of luck cleaning the grates. Goo Gone might work to dissolve the plastic, or maybe a torch.

I think the only real rememdy is the angle grinder and wire cup brush. I don't want to leave even thin film of that chemical conflaguration to flavor my future cooks.
That sucks but you’re right on this one.

Playing the devil's advocate, I suggest that you open the lid while lighting the grill.
That is a great suggestion, but being the way I am, that probably won't be happening. I just light it with the lid down out of habit. If it is windy out, sometimes it is hard to light with the lid up. First or second click always with lid down so I just kind of got used to doing that.

That is a great suggestion, but being the way I am, that probably won't be happening. I just light it with the lid down out of habit. If it is windy out, sometimes it is hard to light with the lid up. First or second click always with lid down so I just kind of got used to doing that.
That is pretty dangerous. You can ask my brother what happened to him the first time he lit a grill with the lid down. He got blown back into the garage, hit his head on the wall and was knocked out. We found him a bit later wondering where he'd gone. Eyes were spinning around in his head and he was quite "loopy"

Back