Waygu Chuck Roast

Steve Hilmer

TVWBB Super Fan
It has been a long time since my last post. Yesterday I found a waygu chuck roast at Bristol Farms for about $30. I have decided to rub it and smoke it like I would do a normal chuck and see what happens. I will be using a Traeger BBQ 70. I will get the grill to 400 plus, drop in the roast and drop the dial to smoke. Will stay there for 3 hours, I will let you know what the smoke temp is. from there I will go to say 180 degrees or 225 to finish. My target temp is say 190-200 internal. The marbling in this sucker is amazing. I have an WSM also but use the Traeger at home more often. I have found that with minor adjusments the WSM can use the same formulas most of the time. The Traeger smoke setting is lower. My Traeger also has the digital control so my temps are controled. I use a Redi Check 2 probe so I will read the temp and give them 2 you all. I just put the roast in a 12:15 my time. Grill temp was 300 and meat temp was 46. The grill temp will slowly drop to about 160-180 and stay there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Hilmer:
It is now 30 minutes in. Grill temp is 190. Meat Temp is 70. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep us posted Steve!!! I wish I could be in Sunny San Diego to sample the finished product with ya!!!! Take some pic's if you can!

TY Larry.It is a real nice day here today. I forgot to mention it is a 3 pound roast. I am thinking of foiling at the 3 hour mark any thoughts? At 1 hour in the grill temp is 172 and the meat temp is 92.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Hilmer:
TY Larry.It is a real nice day here today. I forgot to mention it is a 3 pound roast. I am thinking of foiling at the 3 hour mark any thoughts? At 1 hour in the grill temp is 172 and the meat temp is 92. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly, I've never cooked a wagyu chuck roast Steve. But with normal choice or prime I foil at the 165* mark and pull when fork tender...typically in the 195º-200º range and then give a good 1-2 hour rest before pulling.

Larry, I think I will treat this like a 7 blade and foil. I'm thinking foil at 3 hours, go to 225 and wait for 180 then unfoil to 190-200. 10 degree carry over while resting in coverd pan for 1 hour. what I am hoping for is some seriousy tender meat with some tasty bark. I will use a pan while foiled, and use some of the leftover fat in my final spicing along with a hint of Sweet baby ray's. Grill temp swings from 170 to 180, meat temp is 103.

Wagyu/Kobe cuts often finish sooner than expected, sometimes significantly so, depending on cut. Check for done much sooner than you might normally.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Wagyu/Kobe cuts often finish sooner than expected, sometimes significantly so, depending on cut. Check for done much sooner than you might normally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TY. So are you saying it might be tender at a lower temp or it will get there faster?

TY. I removed the roast it is excatly what I expected. The rub is crusting and the meat was right where i thought it would be. I took it out at 3:15, foiled it and currently grill temp is 233 and meat temp 131. I will check at 170 for doneness.

Grill Temp 291. I turned it to 180 then 250. the Traeger takes a moment to adjust so it will lock in around 260-270. Meat Temp 152.

Meat at 180. Unfoiled and checked. Yummi. I put back on at 250. i think I will stop at 190 internal saved the juice, only about 1/4 cup but yummi.

Ahhh I love a plan that goes right......too bad this was not 1 of them. The meat temp dropped 18 degrees in 30 minutes. I checked with another probe. Yup. So I refoiled and added back the juice and Already we are up to 171. So I will finished foiled. Will check meat at 190.

Here is the final report. I went to 194 internal. I let it rest for 1 hour. My knife went thru nice and easy. I sliced it into 1 by 2 chunks and served over some dirty rice with juice added on top. No sauce required. The level of beef flavor was intence. I think this could be done as kabobs with skewers over a hot lump charcol with spices and be good in another way, still pink. But it does a very wonderful long smoke. I do not know if it had any benefit to remove and refoil, might be better to just go until 165 and foil to 195-200. Thank you Larry and Kevin for all your thoughts.

Sounds fantastic Steve. Any pics? Have you had any other cuts of Waygu. I'm dying to try some. Never found any here on the Right coast. Might have to order on line from Morgan Ranch in the bottom adds here on TVWBB.

Sorry, I left my camera at work on Friday. I am planning more waygu smokes this year for summer. My thinking is rather than take the family to dinner just buy a real good meat and work on my Q. I have been unable to enjoy Q for a while but time to get back to it. I also want to do some new wierd stuff. I will let ya know!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Waygu </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time for the newbie question. What is it? Never heard of it. Heard of Kobe, but still never really understood that either.

Todd

Back