Waterproofing 18.5" cover seams

Bruce McLeod

TVWBB Member
It's too bad that while a cover for the 18.5 WSM is included, the seams aren't waterproof.
Seems to defeat the purpose of having a cover in the first place.
icon_confused.gif

Every time I open my WSM after a rain, it's wet inside with a puddle of soggy ash in the bottom.
So, I've had enough of that!
icon_cool.gif

Normally, it is simple to seal seams at the factory by heat welding or applying vinyl glue/seam tape in the seam as it's being sewn. But that might add another $2 to the cost of making the cover.
Waterproofing the seams of an existing cover is possible, but requires using the right sealant and covering all possible points of water ingress thoroughly.

Here's my effort to achieve just that.

First, I removed the cover, turned it inside out, then covered the WSM with it. Here the single-stitched seams are exposed and relatively easy to work on.
WSMCoverSeamsWaterproofingweb1.jpg

Then I got out the DAP polyurethane flashing sealant and went to work. After the fact, sealing stitched seams is a bit messy to do, but this polyurethane sealant sticks and cures well, remaining flexible (and hopefully waterproof). Using nitrile or latex gloves is essential when working with polyurethane. Cleanup is easily done with ordinary paint thinner before the sealant cures.
WSMCoverSeamsWaterproofingweb3.jpg

The first thing to do is lay a bead of sealant inside the seam (shown here on the dart seam that tapers the cover to allow for the shape of the dome) between the two layers of material.
WSMCoverSeamsWaterproofingweb4.jpg

Then apply a bead to the stitching on each side of the seam, press it over onto the side it's naturally folded and smooth with your finger (gloves are essential when working with polyurethane).
WSMCoverSeamsWaterproofingweb5.jpg

Now, carefully remove the cover, lay it aside and remove the domed lid from the WSM. Replace the cover with the horizontal seam positioned on top of the top rim of the middle section of the WSM. Doing this makes the circumference seam much easier to work on by preventing the wrinkles (see the first photo) that occur in the cover when the domed lid is on.
WSMCoverSeamsWaterproofingweb6.jpg

Repeat the application of sealant, being careful to get enough into the seam and on the stitching for it to glue together. I used masking tape (and a piece of duct tape) to hold all the seams flat while the sealant cured.
WSMCoverSeamsWaterproofingweb7.jpg

Here's the side seam after the Polyurethane sealant cured:
WSMCoverSeamsWaterproofingweb8.jpg

....and the top seam:
WSMCoverSeamsWaterproofingweb9.jpg

The only place it got pretty ugly was where there are four layers of material all folded over each other (8 layers in total). Here it is important here to have lots of sealant along the stitching and between all the layers:
WSMCoverSeamsWaterproofingweb10.jpg

In the end, the cover still looks the same from the outside, but now I'm confident that the seams are watertight.
icon_biggrin.gif

The test for this will be the rain predicted for tonight.
icon_wink.gif

Bruce, nice job but a little over kill. Use tent seam sealer available at any sporting good store or the easiest solution, the old garbage or trash bag. Doesn't look great with the bag over it but it works

I feel your pain, Bruce. Mine leaks, too. Why should you or I have to go through all that trouble.

It would of cost Weber more like 20 cents a cover to get it right. But what do I know?

I use the "trash bag inside the cover" approach, but if I wanted something permanent, I'd try heat-sealable seam tape (scroll down until you see Melco Iron On Seam Tape). That looks like an easy solution.

Thanks for the feedback.

Paul, luckily I already had the cartridge of Poly open and ready to go (after repairing a hidden gutter rip), so this was a relatively easy fix - you know, the satisfaction of just being able to do it.
icon_razz.gif

Those Scottish genes help too....

Greg, I was trying to be diplomatic and generous in my comment about a factory installed seam sealant costing $2 above, but your $.20 guess is more realistic for a Chinese-made cover.
icon_wink.gif

Larry, I checked out the Melco Iron On Seam Tape but the disclaimer: " User assumes all liability of damage to their project when using this product since high heats are involved ", made me shudder.
I could just imagine destroying the vinyl coating of the cover while applying this product. (and having my wife PO'd because I wrecked the iron as well)
icon_eek.gif

I've had some experience with iron-on wood veneer and know the kind of damage that can be done with "high heat".

But I did notice that they sell tubes of "urethane rubber" to repair wet suits and waders. It's probably similar to the stuff I used.
icon_cool.gif

Got up this morning just in time to see a downpour testing the cover...
WSMCoverFix001web.jpg

and afterwards the inside was bone-dry.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce McLeod:

Paul, luckily I already had the cartridge of Poly open and ready to go (after repairing a hidden gutter rip), so this was a relatively easy fix - you know, the satisfaction of just being able to do it.
icon_razz.gif

Those Scottish genes help too....

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's reason enough to do what you did. I hate finding a 3/4 full tube of costly silicone caulk that has solidified because I didn't seal the end well enough after using it. Once a tube is open, I tend to seal everything I can find.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
Why not simply slip a large plastic trash bag over the Weber cover itself?!?!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's what I do. Not terribly pretty, but I use the plastic bag to throw away the ashes after a cook and then put a fresh new bag over the cooker cover.

Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
Why not simply slip a large plastic trash bag over the Weber cover itself?!?!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Cause that's like wearing your underwear on the outside. Unless you're Madonna, it just doesn't work.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'Cause that's like wearing your underwear on the outside. Unless you're Madonna, it just doesn't work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you visited your local high school lately. Kids ain't shy about exposing their "midriff" to show the color of their thong strings let alone boxers. This IS, indeed, the 21st century after all.

I threw my original cover away not knowing about how the lid fit. After a good rain i bought a cheap Weber cover from Lowe's. About 7 bucks and it lasted a couple of years. Just bought a new one. Seems like the easiest route.

Les

Back