Waterpan-less Brisket

Dale Groetsema

TVWBB Super Fan
I came up with this great idea then searched this forum and saw that you guys and girls already had been trying this out for several months.

Nonetheless, I will share my experience in cooking a brisket on the WSM without the use of a waterpan.

Bought a choice brisket, about 10 lbs, but very uniform thickness across the flat. Trimmed only the most obvious excess fat, leaving 1/2 inch or more on the meat. I did cut out that hard block of fat between the point and flat, simply because I have found that does not render during cooking.

I filled a chimney half full with Kingsford (yeah, the "new, improved" variety) and got it to glowing coals stage before placing on top of another half chimney of unlit charcoal in the WSM. I had a nice 3 inch cube of pecan which I placed on top of the glowing coals, assembled the smoker (without water pan) and started smoking the brisket, fat side up.

Lower vents were closed the entire cook, upper vent was used to moderate temp if it went over 250 degrees. Started at 9am, turned and rotated the brisket at 10am. Turned and rotated again at 1pm, again at 4pm, and once more at 5pm. Removed the brisket at exactly 6pm and let it rest under a foil tent for 30 minutes while I prepared the rest of the meal (picked up at farmers market earlier in the day). Temp when I pulled it was 190 in the flat

Separated the point from the flat, trimmed the excess fat from the underside of the flat and sliced and served. Just a bit dry, will probably remove it a few degrees earlier next time.

Surprisingly, the crust was not burnt or unedible anywhere on the brisket. The rub (kosher salt, black pepper, white pepper, chiplote powder, celery seeds, granulated garlic, allspice) seemed to carmelize on the meat, yet was still crunchy, expecially the black pepper which I made very course grind.

I did this trial in hope of utilizing this cooking method at my next comp, which is in Alaska next week. I'll let you know how it goes, for the brisket, as well as the other meats. It is a really fun way to cook on the WSM.

Very interesting technique. Would it have been little less dry if you had cooked it fat side down the whole cook? Perhaps a thin slice of fat on the meat side on top ? Or perhaps a piece of foil on the lower rack to diffuse the heat just a little and still allow the fat to hit the fire?

I would not have thought to cook with all the lower vents closed and adj. the top vent. That must be the key to panless cooking.

Back