water, sand or nothing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vaughan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Stout:
I taped around my door with aluminum duct tape and don't use anything in the pan. It's just a heat deflector. I have no problem getting up to temp and it usually settles in around 270. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? "I taped around my door with aluminum duct tape....." Please help me understand why one would want to do this. Is this a common mod within the WSM user community?

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I started with water, went to clay saucer and even after enough cooks to really gunk it up temps could still runaway sometimes. I could never bend the door enough to stop the air leaks.

After some thought I figured the UDS does not use a "heat sink" and can stay rock steady using just intakes to adjust the temps. So what is the difference between and uds and a wsm? My door. I taped it up and now using lump, I can hold 270 for around 12 hours, sometimes more.

As for the purdy exterior, I'm not much to look at so why should my cooker. My BBQ on the other hand is a work of art (sometimes).

Taped and sealed, it works for me.

I use foiled clay saucer for everyday, daytime cooks ... water pan for long overnighters. I like the ease of cleanup with the foiled saucer.

For low and slow I use water. Its readily available. And if I ever need to add more during a cook, which is rare, its still so easy just to open the lid and pour more in.

For higher temp cooks, I use a foiled empty pan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven P (Tupelo):
For low and slow I use water. Its readily available. And if I ever need to add more during a cook, which is rare, its still so easy
just to open the lid and pour more in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steven, if you're using the high capacity '09 water pan or the Brinkman pan, I find that starting off with only one gallon helps get up to my targeted temp quicker.

I'll start off with more for overnight cooks, but I can always add some more by using a narrow spout watering can or even a 2 liter soda bottle to add water through the door. I've yet to douse my coals or meat like this, and the cooker is much quicker to recover temp.

Dave, I do have the Brinkman pan. I usually add more water if needed while I'm spraying or doing something to the meat. But, your way of doing it sounds good. Less time with the lid open is always better.
icon_smile.gif

Back