water question- 3 butts

Briant

TVWBB Member
Ok gang. Going to do three butts on Friday for my brother in law using my 18.5. Will be going overnight, shooting for 225-250 throughout... The butts should be about 7 lb each.

Normally I load it with two butts and use water in the pan. If I do a third, should I cut back (or eliminate) the water? I know I will probably be pushing it on fuel too.

You can still use the water. I have done 4 and its been all good and took about 13 hours at 235-245

My experience is the same as Tony. Last weekend I did 4 Boston butts and used the usual amount of water. The two on the top rack will probably finish sooner than ones on the bottom.

Mike

I did 8 butts at once on my 22" WSM. Amazingly enough, 2 from each rack were ready at the same time while the other 2 on each rack required additional cooking time.
I don't use water in my pan at all but if you're used to it - doesn't hurt anything other than fuel consumption.

I don't use water anymore, just don't see the need. I simply just change the foil everytime I cook in my WSM. It works for me!

Back