Water pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just used my WSM smoker yesterday for the first time, and with GREAT results! But..........any suggestions on where to dump the greasy water from the water pan? I don't want to kill my lawn by just throwing it anywhere. Thanks for any help.

Nazzo,

I wait for the fat to solidify, then skim it off and throw it in the trash. If your in a rush and need to get the fat off quickly an old trick used to defat stocks works well. Wrap several ice cubes in cheese cloth and stir it around the fatty surface of the water pan...the ice will solidify the fat and it will cling to the cheesecloth.
Hope this helps

Pour it in the yard. Someplace it won't get walked through. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I pour it around the culvert under the driveway. I hope it does kill the grass there, no more weedeater. If you live in the city, you probably don't have this option.

Smokin' Jim in NC

I double up two plastic grocery bags and then place a paper one inside them. After reclaiming any worthwhile leftover charcoal, the remaining ash goes in the bag. Then the water pan contents get dumped into it, and the ash absorbs the water and grease. Caveat: A lot of plastic grocery bags have small holes, so even doubled up, don't walk through the house with such a package.

Nazzo,

Depending on where you live, you want to be careful throwing away fat on your property. The fat will attract animals to that area, if you live rural like I do, that means racoons, if you live more suburban, mice and rats could be attracted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Weisse:
[qb]
Originally posted by Doug D:
Caveat: A lot of plastic grocery bags have small holes, so even doubled up, don't walk through the house with such a package. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would amend this to read "ALL pastic grocery bags have holes . . ." The first time I did this left a big grease slick on my driveway. My two dogs wore blisters on their tongues trying to lick up the concrete. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If you're using the standard Weber water pan, it holds 1 gallon of water. Just funnel the warm (not hot) liquid and grease into a 1 gallon plastic milk or water jug. Cap and dispose of in the trash.

Regards,
Chris

Hello Nazzo...

Great question... Unfortunately there's not a good answer, because there is no such thing as a good suggestions on where to dump the greasy water... Best thing I found is to use sand... Very easy to clean up... Just wait for the fat to cool, fold it up in the tinfoil and throw it in the trash.. your finished..

By the way... Welcome to the forum... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know. I always just dump it in the yard somewhere. It never seems to kill the grass. I never thought of it attracting any kind of animals though. Maybe I should stop doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back