water pan

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Today I was at the "barbecuen.com" web site. On it, they have an "explanation" of water smokers. I'm wondering what people think of this statement:

"The second component to the Water Smoker is the water used to create steam. The water which is situated either directly above or adjacent to the fire after a short while will begin to boil. As the steam rises, it combines with the smoke particles to become an 'automatic' basting material. This combination of water and smoke acts to continuously baste the food. After the water droplets cover the meat, they then drop back into the water pan, (since you did place the meat directly above the water pan, didn't you?) and are available to continuously baste the barbecue."

While certainly no WSM expert, I have used ECBs for a while. And, while I might be wrong, I never thought that the function of the water pan was to produce steam. I always thought it was simply there to redirect heat, so that the meat didn't get seared from the coals. Some people here use sand; and (I assume) end up with marvelous 'Q. Personally, I think that barbecuen .com doesn't know what they're talking about--at least regarding "water" smokers.

What's the verdict on this?

I think that you are right. The water pan is supposed to act as a heat-sink in order to make temperature control easier for low and slow cooking.

Heated air has an increased capacity for water. The water that evaporates (call the vapor steam if you want) is absorbed into the air and passes out the top vent. I've never seen condensate on the meat because the water is not vaporizing that fast. I believe the environment is more moist, however, than a unit using sand or an empty pan due the fact that the water does evaporate (and has to go into the air in the WSM). This doesn't make a huge difference in the meat - just a small one. The heat sink effect, I think, is the larger effect we notice.

My dos pesos. Your mileage may vary.

Loren

I agree with all that have responded before. In addition, it takes alot of calories just to convert water to steam (heat of vaporization). this has a further stabilizing effect on the temps in the smoker.

I'm not sure about water vapor condensing on the meat surface. There'd have to be an appreciable difference in temp between the meat surface and internal temp of the smoker. I doubt there's much condensation involved.

Some also claim that additives to the water can add flavor to the finished product. I treid this back on my old ECB with no noticeable results, so I quit doing it.

Well, here's my two cents (before taxes).

The water in the pan helps to control heat AND keep the meat moist. The water vapor doesn't condense on the meat. However, the water vapor that is saturating the heated air helps to keep moisture from leaving the meat. Yes, moisture escapes from the smoker vent hole but it is replaced by evaporating moisture from the water pan and meat.

Now I didn't say your meat won't lose moisture, because it will. It will lose moisture slower. What drips off the meat into the water pan is fat from the cooking meat.

I do believe the guys with the off set fire boxes have to mop their Q more often then the guys using sand or water.

I hope this makes sense.

This argument has been hashed and re-hashed on this forum. I came here believing (from ECB experience) that water was the ONLY way to go. I tried sand and have not turned back. However, I must say, my experience has only been with ribs and butts.

Originally posted by Tony Weisse:
In addition, it takes alot of calories just to convert water to steam (heat of vaporization).

Actually just 1 kcal / litre (provided that the water is nearly boiling
icon_smile.gif
)
The important bit is that at some point that water will be nearly boiling and all the extra heat is carried away in the water vapour, which leaves you with a nice mass of 211*F water blocking the heat.
As for the auto basting, I don't buy that for a second. Although I might be willing to agree that the increased humidity will prevent a very small amount of moisture from evaporating off the meat, I'm not convinced it is significant, and if you baste at all it is certainly not.

morgan

I feel like I'm a day late and a dollar short when it comes to this thread. The feature story on the Web site for May: "Using A Water Pan In The WSM", covering all these points.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Chris, I guess that's an upcoming article? The last one I see is April 4 on pastrami, but then I'm new to the site.

Loren

It will be nice to read the artical Chris has coming for May.

I just ordered a Brinkmann charcoal pan for my new WSM because it holds more water so that less tending is required on longer smokes. Also, it appears from the articles I have read that Chris uses water. Now, you all forgive me because I am not trying to slight or belittle anyone else here; but Chris seems to be quite the authority so I am tending to follow his lead.

I am new here on the site and to the WSM too, so I am looking to the best WSM advice I can get on this subject and other too. Chris, hurry up with that article man!
icon_smile.gif

Tony

All heat sinks are not created equal.

The advantage with using water over sand is the energy exhausted or absorbed during vaporization while maintaining relatively even (low)temps due to the water not exceeding 212. Sand would just continue to rise in temp as more heat is applied. I am no engineer but that is a significant difference.

I remember reading somewhere recently someone making the statement that water in the pan does not actually keep the meat moist. Someone had reported that with water, sand or nothing in the pan, the meat will still be juicy. Did I read that on TVWB? Of course you would have to watch the temp on those various methods.

Tony

Not sure how well it would work or not, but you can certainly add some water to your sand which could possibly help prevent runaway temps. I know you certainly have to start controlling the temps on the rise with sand. Perhaps the addition of water would help that.
Or just use a guru
icon_wink.gif

Scot

People who use sand cover it with foil to keep the drippings from getting in the sand. If you add water first and cover with foil, the water will boil over and drip on your charcoal.

No foil over (and/or under) the sand is a nice way of getting a nice huge chunk of "glass" that you'll need to chisel out of the pan. LOL.

You can produce dry finished product with a water pan because of over cooking. Using sand, with good technique, will give you moist product.
The moisture in bbq is created by the breaking down of contective tissue and rendering of fat, water in a pan doesn't change that.
Jim

This is all very interesting. I just had my first cook on the WSM and it went very well. I want to make sure my cooks get even better so this is a very good topic for me.

Tony

Back