Water pan with clay pot next to overflowing w/ grease

Eric Aarseth

TVWBB Super Fan
This was my first smoke substituting a clay pot saucer for water. I did 4 butts plus a 11 lb brisket. My saucer at the end was next to overflowing with grease. In fact b/c the cook went about 17 hours I had to add coals at about the 14 hour mark and started getting a serious flame up under the pan because of grease seeping down (closed vents and it flamed out quickly - no problem).

I don't recall seeing anyone discuss this issue in all of the clay pot discussions I've read. Others seeing the same full pan of grease?

As I understand it, the clay pot bas is used as a heat shield. It was not designed to hold the fat from 4 butts and a brisket. Next time try putting an aluminum pan on top of the clay pot base to catch the greese.

Personally I use a foiled Brinkman water pan with an air space.

I think you would do better to trim your butts. Butts don't really need a fat cap to stay moist and getting rid of a lot of the fat before cooking is just plane easier.

Even with trimmed butts, I can see where you would get that much dripping from four butts and a brisket. I think for such a large amount of meat, I would be inclined to go with an empty pan or water pan with water.

Couple points, since I'm on the "day after" and I've cleaned up after the cook.

1. Clean up was awesome. I foiled the water pan and the clay pot base separately, then assembled, then foiled the whole mess together. Just pulled off that last foil wrap that held all the grease and voila, mess is cleaned up.

2. I used a 12" (31 cm) pot base. I place a couple clay feet in the water pan first and then the pot base on top. I was trying to create a larger air space created with the last foil wrap. In concept a good idea, but that step was what left me with so little room to catch grease. For lesser amounts of meat probably would work fine. For 4 butts and packer brisket I can still use the pot base (and no water) but take the feet out. With my final foil step I'll have a much larger grease-catching capacity.

Jerry/David - do you always trim your pork butts - when making pulled pork? Easy enough to do and would certainly make for more bark.

Might be a pain, but you could take a turkey baster and remove some of the grease, just be careful. I use the clay saucer, but I have not tried 4 butts at one time yet. Wonder if one of those little hand pumps you use with kerosene heaters would reach between the grates and pump it off without melting. This turns out to be a great post for me, as I'm cooking 8 butts this coming weekend on my 2 WSM's, will more than likly remember this post after about 5 to 7 hrs into the cook.

Eric,
I have done 4 trimmed butts with the clay saucer and have not had a problem with an overflow of grease. I noticed that you have a 12" saucer I use the 14" that may be the difference. I also trim all my butts and like David I have a meat grinder so no need to waste it.

I don't know what having a meat grinder has to do with trimming a butt but I don't have a meat grinder and I always trim my butts. I like the bark and I like the fact that the fat is easier to dispose of if trimmed prior to cooking.

In reading your posts, I think trimming the butts and using a different method of wrapping the saucer will give you plenty of room for grease. I would also consider a 14" saucer.

Good luck!

David and Don,

Who would have thunk it - discussion about an overflowing (almost) water/clay pot pan and I've learned three great things:

1. Why hassle with the extra fat at the end, both in pulling and the grease pool - just trim.

2. Trimming will produce more bark - a simply thought but I'm so new at this it hadn't occurred to me (I'd like to think I can add "yet" but maybe not).

3. I also have a grinder attachment for my wife's KitchenAid mixer and have made my own hamburger out of chuck. Now I can easily add some fat with fat cap trimmings. Again - never occurred to me (which is why I don't assume that I would have figured out the bark benefit from trimming as dicussed in #2).

Dino: Don't forget, it wasn't just 4 butts, I also had an 11 lb packer on the bottom rack.

Jerry they don't have anything to do with each other I was just stating that I can mix the fat when I grind instead of throwing it away you pay the same price per lb. for the fat as you do the leaner meat.

Back