Water Pan Question (This one may be a little different)

I used water on my first smoke. I made the mistake of reading and following the Weber instructions before finding this board. Living in a city that requires all residents to recycle everything (paper, glass, metal, plastic, food waste, yard waste, etc...), I wasn't sure what to do with the grease-laden water. I decided to let it cool and separate, scraped off the hardened grease into a baggie and into the trash. I dumped the remaining water at the base of a 100 year old cedar tree growing in the yard. I figured that tree had seen much worse than a gallon or two of dirty water in its life. But, that was the last time I used water. I now use a clay pot wrapped in foil. I replace the foil every other smoke (unless I have a large build-up of drippings). Even though I'm still a "nube", I don't plan on ever using water again. As best as I can tell, there appears to be no "up side" as compared to the clay pot method.

FYI, I store the spent charcoal ash in a 5 gallon metal can away from the house. I empty the can into a plastic garbage bag as needed and put it out with the rest of the non-recyclable garbage. If you use nothing but 100% wood charcoal (vs. Kingsford briquets) , you can use the ash in gardens and compost. There may be other chemicals in briquets, so I don't take that chance adding that to a yard or garden.

When I first started I used water. I scraped off the hardened grease in a garbage bag with the ashes and dumped the water in a little hole I made on the side of my house. I then went to a foiled clay flower pot base, now I just foil the water pan.

What does she do with the roasting pan drippings when she cooks in the oven? Take them out to the yard? I let the grease solidify and throw it in the trash. The water goes to a bush or down the drain.

When my wife cooks and has grease to deal with she spoons it into a jar under the sink and when it is full it goes in the trash. The non grease water goes down the drain.

If I am doing a butt, I strain the water into a food safe container , put it in the fridge, then skim the hardened excess fat. Then I strain it again and simmer it on the stove until it reduces by half. Makes for a great moistener for the pulled pork. Adds a good flavor also. For other cooks, I dump it outside wherever I have unwanted weeds. But I live in the country and have a good bit of land, so it never ends up near the house. On the subject of cleaning the pan, I do not understand what all the fuss is about. Dump it in whatever manner you would normally use, wipe it out with paper towels and wash with dish soap and water. easier than cleaning the grates, which themselves are pretty easy.

When I use water I dump it in some empty jugs (like empty windshield washer jugs) I keep around using a funnel. Then in the garbage or off to the dump they go. Easiest way for apartment dwellers I would think

The couple of times I used water I forgot to empty it out for a couple of days and it all evaporated up to the top of the lid and then ran back down the sides and into the ashes. It was nice and cold outside so it turned into a large clump of frozen ashes.

I don't use water any more......

Back