Water Pan liner

So do a lot of people clean their water pans out? I just got my WSM and havent cooked yet.[/QUOTE]

I clean my grates and pan after every cook. I have a 22.5" and line the pan with foil using standard foil. I line the bottom tight with foil (crimping two sheets together to cover) and then add a second layer tented about 3 inches from the bottom (hoping that little bit of air space will cut down on the drippings smoking - I'm not sure if it works or not). If it leaks, I just scrub it a little harder when I clean it.

My WSM is the 18'5, but the principle is the same if you have any foil wider than the water pan. I use a single sheet across the top of the pan, push it down slightly to make a bowl and crimp around the edges. When I use water (almost always) I make a few (4) punctures around the edges of the foil with my fork to allow steam to escape (gotta have SOME purpose for that fork besides pushing charcoal around). If it's a long cook, I make one of those punctures about 3/4 (the width between the tines) so I can add water with a long-spout water can. If no water, no punctures.

The foil serves to keep the pan clean (very little gets through those puncture holes) and as a grease or drippings trap. (Though if I want the drippings, I usually use a pan on the lower grate.)

This has been working really well for the past year and sure beats the mess I got when trying to "line" the pan with the foil.

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rolf Jacobsen:
Folks, Chris has kind of covered this.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lfc&feature=youtu.be </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a good video, Rolf. But it doesn't deal with the new, larger, deeper 18.5" pan used by Weber since 2009. Nor do I think it deasl with the 22" WSM pan (not sure, I don't have that one). So those concerns are appropriately addressed in this thread.

Rich

I've had no problem cleaning the water pan when water was used. I've had more of an issue disposing of the water than cleaning the pan.
My 22 is still running hotter than my 19 so I've been reluctant to do a cook without water until I gain more experience.

I buy the HD foil at Sam's Club and 2 pieces of that in a criss-cross pattern covers the bottom and sides quite well. Does some goo seep through? Of, course. We are cooking BBQ here. I just wipe it out with a few paper towels and fire it up again. Every now and again, (when the wife is shopping) I'll bring the pan inside and wash it out in the kitchen sink.

Back