Water pan issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

KARL K

Hi all...
I did my 3rd cook yesterday of bb ribs using the Minion method and have some water pan questions. If I fill the pan to start should there be any reason to fill again during the cook? The temp was 74 no wind, I was cooking 4 slabs on top in a rib rack and 3 on the bottom. It took almost 1 hour for the temp to get up to 250. I had all vents wide open. I used a chimney starter of about 20 hot coals. Today the water pan has some really hard black areas that I am soaking. Is this normal water pan issues? The ribs came out great. It's been a few months since I first posted. Ran into some back and sciatica problems. Nothing like a good smoke to make one feel better. A Happy Memorial Day to all who have defended this country. You all deserve our thanks.
Karl

On a short cook, like ribs, I usually don't find it necessary to replenish the pan-- not that much evaporates.

Both the amount of meat and the outside temperature dictate how many coals to start with using the MM. Although your ambient temp was mild, you had-- I estimate, if you mean whole slabs-- 12-14 pounds of meat total. That's a lot for just 20 lit briquets to work against as they try to bring the cooker up to temp. You could also try starting with hot water in the pan when you have a lot of meat, even though it's not cold out. You could also even wait until after the cooker comes up closer to your target to add water to the pan. Or, alternately, you could use the standard method when you cook large amounts-- a lot of cold meat really brings the cooker temp down fast, too.

As to the black stuff on the pan, that's why most folks line the pan inside and out with foil. Those who don't care about the bottom of the pan just line the inside-- it's a personal choice.

I have found a lot of differences in the evaporation rate of water and really haven't searched for an explanation. If it's using more, I just fill it up.

If you're talking about black blotches on the outside of the pan, that is normal. It doesn't bother me so I don't wrap the outside and really don't know why others do. On the inside, it would indicate your water evaporated and the grease burned the bottom of the pan - not good.

Good luck on your back issues. I know of what you speak.

Paul

Thanks for the suggestion's.
How do I get off the caked on grease? It is really thick and soaking in the sink. Can I use the pan if I line with foil on the inside or time for a new one after only 3 cooks?

You certainly do not need to get another water pan. Get off what you can and then use it again. The hot water will loosen the grease some and you'll probably have an easier time of clean up next time. Maybe try your clean up before it totally cools down. Try soaking it in a degreasing type solution. Remember, you don't eat out of the water pan. It doesn't bother me in the least, but I can appreciate that others feel differently. Maybe a good clean up and foiling the inside of the pan in is how you should go.

thanks all...
It's still soaking in the sink. I tried using a scotch brite pad and the grease will not come off. I will leave it over night. The ribs were worth the trouble. Next up we tackle a pastrami or two.

If you really think you need it spotless, use oven cleaner on it (but don't breathe in the fumes...!). But I doubt you need to bother getting it that clean.

Susan I'm not looking for spotless. One third of the pan has major black grease build up. It is a very ugly looking site. The next time I fire up the smoker I'm afraid the food will have a burnt smell to it if I do not get it off. Any other suggestions out there?

Put a bottle of ammonia (~24oz) in a plastic trash bag with the water pan and your grill grates. Seal tightly and let it sit for 24 to 48 hours. You should be able to hose it off after that time.

My wife learned about doing this from some HGTV show. I have done it the last two times I smoked and it surprised me that it actually worked.

Mike

It depends, did you set the water pan directly on the charcoal ring like they do on TV? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

This works well for grates, though someone else should pipe in if there are problems with doing it for the pan:

If you have a gas grill you could put the pan on the grill (on high) for a while, until the grease ashes. Then, after it cools, you can just wipe it off. You could also put it in a self-cleaning oven and set the oven to clean.

I had the water pan in the correct place. The inside has the burnt grease. The pan should have been filled with more water. I tried scrubbing with a scotch brite pad and instant hot water with no luck. I will try Mike's way tonight. The next time I cook will the burnt grease loosen up if I do nothing or will it ruin the cook?

In the future, I'd recommend foiling the inside of the pan (unless it's the Brinkman pan, it's too big to foil), and maybe even using sand...it's a lot more clean than water plus you don't have to replace it.

I wouldn't worry about the outside of the pan.

I have had several water pans in the last few years get burnt on grease. I never bothered to try and remove it, and it didn't seem to affect anything.

I'm with Susan. If you really want it clean, get some oven cleaner. The ammonia will work too, but the oven cleaner is quicker (stronger).

I like the ammonia it's cheaper. I have never used it on a water pan because I cover mine in foil. Since I started covering in foil I haven't had to clean it at all. The ammonia works wonders on the grates.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back