Water pan empty or full?

JerryP

After watching several Youtube vids on the WSM I discovered opposing opinions on having the water pan filled or empy and covered with foil. I even heard of people filling it with sand and covering over that with foil. I understand the concept of thermal mass, but wonder if empty vs full changes the rate of fuel consumption. Thanks for the advice.

It would take more BTU's to heat up a pan of water or sand or a clay saucer, cause they are a heat sink. An empty foiled pan is just a heat deflector IMO and what I normally use.:wsm:

Tim

As Tim stated you will use more fuel with water in the pan cause it has to heat that as well. I do not use water in the pan. I have found I have better temp control with a dry pan. Also I feel their is enough moisture just from the cooks. Also I hate trying to get rid of that nasty grease water.

Like you have read there will be opinions both ways. You will have to decide which way you like best.

I tried water once and won't go back. I prefer the clay saucer as it makes clean-up a snap. If you tightly line an empty pan with foil, the drippings can and will burn on the bottom. The clay saucer avoids that by leaving a large air gap. Water also avoids that too. lol

There's no right or wrong answer - you'll just have to see what you prefer.

I'll add another vote for using an empty pan. I'll suspend foil over the top of the pan (2 sheets perpendicular to one another) with enough of a dip in the middle to collect drippings/grease. I've never had an issue with anything burning since this leaves a nice air gap between the pan and drippings.

Before going to an empty pan I used water for several cooks. From my experience a ring full of KBB goes a lot longer and hotter with an empty pan and I've never had to add charcoal during long cooks. When I used water I would have to had to add charcoal after 12-13 hours.

I foil with water pan empty personally. Mostly because I'm brand new and pretty much everything I've read says water pan empty. My question to build on yours is this. Do you guys foil the outside bottom of the pan as well? Like the actual part where the heat from the coals are hitting? I have been but was curious if it was necessary. Maybe I could save myself from using the massive amounts of aluminum foil I've been using. Lol

I'll add another vote for using an empty pan. I'll suspend foil over the top of the pan (2 sheets perpendicular to one another) with enough of a dip in the middle to collect drippings/grease. I've never had an issue with anything burning since this leaves a nice air gap between the pan and drippings.
+1 (The 14.5" and 18.5" only need one sheet of the wide foil)

You can also wad up foil into balls about softball size and put in the pan under the foil for the air space.

I use water 90% of the time and foil the bottom. Boil water inside and hot tap water to put in pan to begin with. Have used this method for all my BabyBack rib cooks and Pulled Pork. I foil pan and no water for Poultry and try to reach a temp. Of around 350. I use a mixture of Hardwood lump and KB for high heat cooks.

Last edited:
I started by using water in the pan. But now I use a foil lined pan. My two reasons to stop using water were, getting rid of the leftover water and on long cooks I had to add water multiple times. Without water That is one less thing to worry about.

I started by using water in the pan. But now I use a foil lined pan. My two reasons to stop using water were, getting rid of the leftover water and on long cooks I had to add water multiple times. Without water That is one less thing to worry about.
Was that the 18? I've never had to add water on my 22. I've smoked around 13 hrs. Once doing pulled pork. Didn't add charcoal or water.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but as far as the nasty grease water goes, can't you just dump it on your lawn / garden / tree to get rid of it? The local raccoons may appreciate this. :)

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but as far as the nasty grease water goes, can't you just dump it on your lawn / garden / tree to get rid of it? The local raccoons may appreciate this. :)

Thats what I do. Figured the neighborhood kitty kats would like licking the "gravy"...it's not like it's done everyday. Maybe at most twice a month or so during summer. Once a mos. in winter. Using my Performer more in the Winter.

I don't know about the racoons, but my yellow labs loves it. :p

I've been experimenting with this and with out water I have yet had a problem with temps climbing when I didn't want it to and the bbq was still moist. Take note that I'm not the most experieced tghough and have only had about 30 cooks on my wsm.

I used water my first cook and have never again. Have not had any issue and like others I just wrap foil over the pan. Worked fine with water but did not notice any difference without.

Last edited:

Back