Water pan deeper in new 18.5 WSM

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
I see some pics about clay saucers and WSM and I think the old water pan is not as deep as the new one.

I loaded up a bunch of charcoal for an overnight cook and my water pan was touching the smoke wood. Had to dish out the charcoal slightly and move wood chunks toward outside.

Thanks.

My 2010 wsm has the deeper water pan and I feel its about one inch deeper than it should be. I only use lump charcoal so I need to be able to pack the charcoal ring as full as possible for long cooks in cold weather. Almost every time I lower the water pan in after dumping my chiminy I hit the coals with the water pan. It has not caused any problems other than the pan being in the way when tending the fire. So far with lump charcoal I am only able to smoke for about 7-9 hours before I need to add more lump. I feel a water pan with a slightly shallower bottom (1" or so) would allow room for more charcoal and make adding smoke woods easier.

instead of the lid of the smokey joe, they are using the bowl of the joe. thats why it is what it is. Tooling.

Mike

Chris, Rob

Here's what you do. I recently purchased a new 18.5 incher and had the same problem. Go to Brinkmann's website (brinkmann.net I think) and order a replacement CHARCOAL pan. Only about 13 bucks. Don't make the same mistake I made and order the replacement water pan. The replacement water pan is too small and will not fit (I had to send mine back). Order the CHARCOAL pan. It holds almost 2 gallons like the new 18.5 water pan but its shaped more like a pan instead of a bowl so its not nearly as deep and won't touch you coals and screw up your fire. If you go the WSM modifications section on this site you'll see it.

Good luck.

wsmsmile8gm.gif
Thanks Russ ! I too had a problem using lump to cook a brisket with my water pan hitting the top of my lump even after digging out the middle so pan would sit on brackets. I ordered the charcoal pan you suggested and it works perfectly. You would think webber would have noticed this and corrected the design as everything else is, or seems to be, well thought out. Again Thanks for the tip!
icon_biggrin.gif

It's funny
wsmsmile8gm.gif
. But not saying any of these posts is wrong! But before I bought my WSM 18.5, the thing I read most about it was the complaints that the water bowl wasn't big enough -- now it's bigger and the complaint is that it's too big! Ok, ok, I know it's more a complaint about the shape -- but, it's funny.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Rich

man i have had the same problems when i load up my WSM, looking at the brinkmann charcoal pan. does anyone know if 114-5502-s is the right model number?? also loking at the clay saucer option as the water is not a lotta fun..

glenn in SC.. btw Go Heels in LAX sunday

You would think webber would have noticed this and corrected the design as everything else is, or seems to be, well thought out. Again Thanks for the tip!
icon_biggrin.gif

I've discussed this twice with Weber Customer Service. They don't seem to understand the problem. I've the same complaint. I don't see how they could do something that dim.

Thanks for the advice about the Brinkmann Charcoal Pan. If anyone knows where you can purchase one in the San Francisco Bay Area I'd sure appreciate knowing that.

Back