Water pan cover

I bought a SS pan in replace of the water bowl. It’s shallow so if you needed to add coals it is less intrusive. Here is the one I bought and fits perfect.

SMOKEWARE Stainless Steel Drip Pan - Big Green Egg Grilling Accessory, 14-inch Diameter​

Harry Soo uses a dry water pan lined with foil in his WSM. https://www.youtube.com/@SlapYoDaddyBBQ/search?query=wsm hot to smoke win

That Harry is hard to stay up with LOL. Quite a few years ago he used the heat shield from the bottom of the WSM to replace the water bowl and wrapped it in aluminum foil. So I picked up a heat shield on ebay and did the same. Still do. As mentioned already you can get a lot more fuel in there with a higher sitting pan. Once I went without water never have gone back and no plans to.

47947993048_862afbdb0d_z.jpg

Yup. I never refuel. In fact, I did a test by letting my wsm keep going after i took a pork butt off. I can make 30 hrs without refueling....thats not maximum charcoal either. More important than refueling.....i dont need to knock down ash to keep it going......thats a thing of past with extended charcoal ring and controller.
Caught my attention, curious to the amount you start with, any stacking method? Ive learned over the years refueling isnt as necessary as I believed but still do to a littel bit, more so with a few wood chunks than anything.

I'm a new WSM18 owner and also looking for ways to minimize cleaning (even before my 1st cook!). I saw that burnt end paper water pan cover on amazon and thought it was overpriced there.

Burnt End Paper also offers those on their direct website for much cheaper and free shipping. For example, the WSM18 one is $25. I'm debating that vs something else that'd get rid of the deep bowl water pan altogether. I'll post the dimensions if I go that route.

*Edit - I watched chris's video on alternative. The Burnt End Paper product seems limiting since you don't have the option to go without the weber water pan in the cooker altogether to be able to stack more charcoal. I'm leaning toward the mayant stainless steel deep dish pan or winco mixing bowl he suggests.

Last edited:
I have used water tray of clay used under clay flower pots great as easy clean up and heat sink.
I have also used metal pizza pan foil them for easy clean up

FYI, @Chris Allingham - the Mayant Stainless Steel deep dish pan recommended here right above the terra cotta saucer section does _not_ fit in the WSM18 or come close to touching the support flanges. Its diameter is 13 3/8". Not sure if it's variation like you mentioned for the Winco bowls or across the board. I've attached a couple of pictures below. I had wrapped it in foil preparing for a cook.

Attachments

• IMG_9148.jpeg
    IMG_9148.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9147.jpeg
    IMG_9147.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 4
FYI, @Chris Allingham - the Mayant Stainless Steel deep dish pan recommended here right above the terra cotta saucer section does _not_ fit in the WSM18 or come close to touching the support flanges. Its diameter is 13 3/8".
Interesting. The listing says 14" diameter, so if they're shipping with 13-3/8" diameter it would be good to return it and tell them the listing is inaccurate. The thing I've learned about all these pans is the dimensions are not really accurate, if the pan is off by +/- 1/2", they don't really care.

As I mentioned in that article, I have not tried that pan, I just thought it might work given the state dimensions. I will remove it from the article. Thanks for letting me know and sorry for your trouble.

no worries! thanks for all your videos and help in my new hobby! I just ordered the Winco mixing bowl you've suggested.

Back