Water in Pan or Sand

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul G.:
Were you surprised that you could maintain those low, steady temps with an empty pan? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, not really. In the Smoke Dried Tomatoes article, I ran the cooker at 150-160*F for over 26 hours with an empty pan without too many vent adjustments.

Regards,
Chris

So what is the benefit of the heat sink, sand or water, if you can cook low/slow for long, long cooks without using one, and not have an issue of frequent vent adjustments ?

Paul

I went from water to sand in mine. I find no difference in the taste or moisture in the finished product.

However, I do find, consistently, the lower rack is now "hotter" than the top. Of course, now I'm getting radiant heat from the sand.

Meat on the bottom rack will hit the finish temp first. I've also had to start turning my briskets fat side down on the bottom rack. Otherwise, the bottom will burn.

I'm runnung 225-230.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul G.:
So what is the benefit of the heat sink, sand or water, if you can cook low/slow for long, long cooks without using one, and not have an issue of frequent vent adjustments? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, some people feel there is no benefit. As long as you have plenty of meat in the cooker to absorb the heat and as long as you bring the temperature up to the desired level using the Minion Method and careful vent management (rather than getting all the coals hot and trying to fight the temperature down), then you'll be OK.

I still use water for long cooks because I feel it's like an insurance policy against the cooker running too hot. As long as there's water in that pan, I know the cooker can't overheat, even if I were to screw up the vent settings.

I also like the fact that water keeps the bottom grate temp lower than it would be otherwise.

Regards,
Chris

Well, thanks for answering that Chris. After I posted, I thought "that's the way most off-sets operate, no water or sand." I somehow thought, mistakenly I guess, that the extra heat sinks aided in maintaing the lower, steady temps for these long/slow/low cooks.

Paul

If you were to operate the WSM in the way described in the owner's manual, then water would play a critical role in keep the temperature low and slow. But with the Minion Method and some experience under your belt, you can eliminate water or sand from the equation altogether.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back