Was this Summit converted to NG? Is that (still) a thing?

Kris Pfeiffer

TVWBB Member
I just saw this on the local Craigslist. A Summit "set up for natural gas." I can see inside the cabinet it has that propane level hanger thingie. Did somebody convert this?

Thanks,
Kris

285436561_5659442134120233_7359035573967233499_n.jpg

Likely someone simply stuck a NG hose on it. Or fell for one of the "sham artists" that sell "conversion kits" on FleaBay, or as back in the day when I had an actual hardware store here as a Weber dealer, they would do an actual full conversion using a full new manifold of proper type, and so on.

Until you verify the fuel rail is the NG part number, I’d lay doubt on a proper and safe conversion. That cabinet hole will make for a nice door for winter mice to live inside that cabinet.

I agree. Good chance it was a botch job, but it could also be that it was done by the store that sold it in order to make the sale. In which case, it was likely done correctly. As I understand it, it is possible that the valves were compatible with LP and just the orifices needed changing out and negate the need for an entirely new manifold.

I agree. Good chance it was a botch job, but it could also be that it was done by the store that sold it in order to make the sale. In which case, it was likely done correctly. As I understand it, it is possible that the valves were compatible with LP and just the orifices needed changing out and negate the need for an entirely new manifold.
Check the exploded view for the part number(s). Mass production logic would tell me it’s the nozzles that make LP or NG along with the regulator.

Without seeing the entire grill, it looks like a S620 (no sear burner, no smoke burner, no roto burner) as I don’t see those control knobs present with the limited pic view.

Except if it's one of those grills that had different valve internals it won't work correctly unless the entire manifold is replaced

Except if it's one of those grills that had different valve internals it won't work correctly unless the entire manifold is replaced
True, but that’s no reason to pan the whole idea, either. If you’re willing to disassemble a valve or two along the way and smart enough to take the time to learn the difference between the valve types, there’s a lot of value to be had vs a manifold swap. Don’t misconstrue this as a blanket statement, but I usually see the 2009ish and up sidewinder models as being problematic for an orifice swap. Front control orifice swaps have been trouble-free for me thus far.

True, but that’s no reason to pan the whole idea, either. If you’re willing to disassemble a valve or two along the way and smart enough to take the time to learn the difference between the valve types, there’s a lot of value to be had vs a manifold swap. Don’t misconstrue this as a blanket statement, but I usually see the 2009ish and up sidewinder models as being problematic for an orifice swap. Front control orifice swaps have been trouble-free for me thus far.
That may be fine for someone who "understands" working with NG or LP, the dynamics of them and so on and how you can get the LP valves to work properly and safely with NG. I would still be VERY leery of telling someone "yeah just change these little pieces and you're all set". Remember 50/60 years ago your car's owner's manual had actual useful information on how to take care of it. Now, it's loaded with warnings to not drink the fluids in it.

I'm guessing that you are looking for a replacement grill for the Summit grill you were thinking about rehabbing. You don't offer all the details of the one in the ad but it appears to be in excellent shape despite the fact that the owner has obviously added a NG hose to a propane grill. I would get a hold of the seller and ask him what's going on with the conversion and if he has the parts to put it back to original. You may still have a winner there.

Once again, we find ourselves heading down the hole of non-information. When respected guys like Larry and Bruce chime in with “sham artist”, “Fleabay conversion”, and “botch job” based on a simple picture like this, it adds zero value to the discussion. There’s nothing in this photo to indicate anything of the sort and it’s just as likely that the conversion was done properly. Put aside any pre-conceived notions that you have about an orifice swap or any other looked down upon conversion. From what the picture shows, I can promise you that none of us have any idea if the manifold was changed or not. There’s what looks to be at least a proper regulator for that portion of the conversion. That’s a good start. Maybe somebody hung an OEM manifold on there already. If that possibility exists, why are we being so quick to dump negative opinions not based on any facts? Bad experiences in the past shouldn’t cloud today’s judgement and these comments come off as sounding so “holier than thou” at times. Are we posting just for the sake of posting and to be heard or are we actually trying to contribute to a discussion?

Tom, if you reread my post, I think you will find that I did not make any definitive statements and even said much the same as you did in your post.

As did I. Please don't go angling for a battle where none was started. Yeah mention WAS "made" but not in a definitive manner. You may even recall I mentioned the original Ace Hardware my own Summit came from did much the same for their customers. But sadly the hatchet jobs and vendors DO exist and people like the OP does HAVE to be cautious

Hopefully we can all chill out, now. I think it should always be remembered that gas - natural or LP - is nothing to trifle with. Some of the sharp comments that get said when this topic resurfaces comes from frustration where people we have seen here present "conversions" that are truly frightening. I think the main point is to do due diligence and exercise a lot of care when converting - or dealing with a grill that has been converted - to be sure things are done safely. I think we can all agree on that.

Back