Was just gifted a Genesis 900 !

I have absolutely no idea. That depends on too many things, and I'm no expert. The only intelligent thing I might say is that I have scraped hard, baked on crusty gunk from drip trays before, so I imagine at some level they do get hot. I've never touched or checked one.

I happen to live in northern NJ, near one of the world's largest deposits of zinc ore. I could tell you more random stuff about zinc and galvanized steel, but none of it would help you make your decision.
Scott, thanks again! I attended Saddlebrook High for a year, living with my aunt/uncle who then moved to Mass. I think I’ll forgo the galvanized sheet steel if I do decide to continue with this rehab and use stainless for the drip pan.
Aloha and welcome! Yup, I would look for another grill as others have said, a x000 series or SilverGold/Platinum. Here's one that's worth the drive if you really want it (if still available)...

Sam, thank you for finding this! I am, alas, not able right now to make the drive down there to get this, were it still available. I’ll keep looking closer to Bellingham…..35 years on the Big Island made it so I have poor freeway skills and even less tolerance for people who are in a terrible hurry to go…..where? Or maybe they are all retired emergency vehicle or race car drivers…..

Yep, I rehab several grills a year. That is one already spoken for. I also have a blue head Silver B waiting for a buyer right now. There are several rehabbers on the forum.

Man I'd love to get a lid like that for my Genesis Platinum C with the stainless frame great looking grill! Do they make that style lid in red?

Scott, thanks again! I attended Saddlebrook High for a year, living with my aunt/uncle who then moved to Mass. I think I’ll forgo the galvanized sheet steel if I do decide to continue with this rehab and use stainless for the drip pan.

Sam, thank you for finding this! I am, alas, not able right now to make the drive down there to get this, were it still available. I’ll keep looking closer to Bellingham…..35 years on the Big Island made it so I have poor freeway skills and even less tolerance for people who are in a terrible hurry to go…..where? Or maybe they are all retired emergency vehicle or race car drivers…..
No worry cuz, I was born and raised on Oahu but have been living on the mainland since 99. Yah, if you can, look for a Weber 1000-5000 series grill or a Silver/Gold/Platinum B/C up in your area. IMO, both are easy to rehab and parts are easier to find.

Man I'd love to get a lid like that for my Genesis Platinum C with the stainless frame great looking grill! Do they make that style lid in red?
Good question. I cannot say I have ever seen on in red. Black, Blue and green, but not red.

Without actually seeing them “live” how would I know if the fireboxes are interchangeable? There is currently a Genesis Silver with a bad back burner valve offered free. Does it have the same firebox with the middle port covered up?
Also you mentioned aftermarket burners, do I just search the web for burners for a 900 or is the length/configuration fairly standard on a 3 tube set-up?
Also, is the Silver mentioned above likely to have the same drip tray?
Always use the model # to look for parts as many of them look the same but may not fit your particular grill, which is model #591101. The drip tray, cookbox, and burner tubes are interchangeable between your grill and a Genesis Silver B or C.

Last edited:
Many thanks to everyone for their information and expertise!

IF I do decide to carry on with making this 900 functional, does anyone have any experience or opinion about using metal mesh screening or fiberglass and refractory cement to fix holes in the fire box? Any ideas why this might not work? Besides the fact that it wouldn’t be a smooth, slick surface like metal and drippings etc might stick to it more…

I can't think of a reason not to restore your 900. It's a very cool grill that you don't see every day as it wasn't made in the numbers that other weber grills were. How you go about it may be different than the way I would but I'm definitely not here to stifle anyone's creativity. I can't offer a creative way of fixing that cookbox other than tell you how to get a better one for free or next to it. That being said, I'm sure there is someone here that has fixed holes in one. It would help if you posted pictures of the grill so we can see what you're dealing with.

I have fixed holes in cook boxes. But they were small holes about the size of a pencil or smaller. I used JBWeld high temp for that.

Well, based on some of the responses from some of you with more experience than I have, I decided to again cast my net and search for another older Weber. Next day, found a Genesis 1000 LX free on CL, they said it needed burners but otherwise OK.
Picked it up and got home, the burn box is just fine, the drip tray (enameled steel vs. aluminum on the 900) has a couple small holes that I can fix, the burn tubes are also fine and it just needs a crossover tube (COT).
Multiple calls around to appliance stores to no avail and then to Weber who said they only have the whole burner kit ($80+) so I’m wondering if anyone knows of a source for just the COT.
I’d ordered a burner tube kit ($36) which included the crossover from Amazon for the 900 before I got this new Weber and it turned out that the burners were about 1.5”too short for the 1000 (which I assume used the same burners etc. as the 900 because dimensionally they seem similar) but the COT worked…..so now I have a set of new burner tubes for an unknown model. If i can find just a COT somewhere, I can return the set to Amazon as being incorrectly depicted on their site.

Any thoughts?
Also, anyone out there need/want a black lid in pretty good shape? I decided to put the red top on the 1000 and like how it looks!

I know they sold various COTs on Amazon, but I have not ordered any for a couple years so I am not sure if they still do. The problem is that it used to be that it was nearly as cheap to order a whole new set for the price of the COT.

Thank you both for your responses! I do see the point of getting the whole kit and holding back the burner tubes until I need them down the road (inevitable, I guess) and also appreciate your finding me a source for just the COT, Steve.
I may actually do both: get a spare complete set and also just a COT for now.
THanks again!

I got burned once on spare parts, and that was years ago on a '95 Saturn. I bought a brand new hydraulic clutch assembly for about $200 knowing that the company was going out of business and Saturn specific parts would become hard to get. Never needed it.

Other than that, I keep spare Weber parts, spare dryer parts, spare mower parts, spare lawn tractor parts, spare cooler hinges, spare generator parts, spare shoelaces (sounds crazy but its nice to always have perfect laces). Some I bought, some came with kits, many are recycled from other items.

Last edited:
Who hasn't bought parts to fix something only to realize that they weren't needed or the wrong thing? My garage is littered with stuff like that I was too lazy to return. Hence, spare parts!

Well, based on some of the responses from some of you with more experience than I have, I decided to again cast my net and search for another older Weber. Next day, found a Genesis 1000 LX free on CL, they said it needed burners but otherwise OK.
Picked it up and got home, the burn box is just fine, the drip tray (enameled steel vs. aluminum on the 900) has a couple small holes that I can fix, the burn tubes are also fine and it just needs a crossover tube (COT).
Multiple calls around to appliance stores to no avail and then to Weber who said they only have the whole burner kit ($80+) so I’m wondering if anyone knows of a source for just the COT.
I’d ordered a burner tube kit ($36) which included the crossover from Amazon for the 900 before I got this new Weber and it turned out that the burners were about 1.5”too short for the 1000 (which I assume used the same burners etc. as the 900 because dimensionally they seem similar) but the COT worked…..so now I have a set of new burner tubes for an unknown model. If i can find just a COT somewhere, I can return the set to Amazon as being incorrectly depicted on their site.

Any thoughts?
Also, anyone out there need/want a black lid in pretty good shape? I decided to put the red top on the 1000 and like how it looks!
Nice score! Take care of that grill and it will take care of you. How are the bars and grates? I'd upgrade them to stainless if they are about to go.

Back