Walmart Packer brisket

AndyK

I'm new to this board (and the WSM) and I'm addicted to both. Thanks for all of your insights from everyone.

I spent 3 years smoking on a Charcoal Brinkman bullet and was tired of tinkering with it every 10 minutes over a 12 hour smoke. I made the switch and just smoked a couple of chickens using the minion method mentioned on this site. I was ABSOLUTELY AMAZED at how well the WSM regulated the temperature. Now I know why you all love your WSM.

At any rate, sorry for the diatribe, but here is my real question.

The only store in my town (Lincoln, NE) that carries the packer brisket is Walmart. The local Sams club and other major grocery stores only stock the flat brisket or point cut. I really have two questions. First, do I need a whole packer brisket, or will a flat cut work for me. I noticed the flat cut is running about $3.75/lb around here compared to the $2.18 packer at Walmart.

Secondly, for the life of me, I can't tell the grade of the briskets at Walmart (and neither could the meat dept guy at Walmart). The cryopac said it was USDA inspected, but nothing about select or choice. Is this standard around the country?

Thanks again for all your help. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me later.

-andy

A brisket flat is like a chicken breast and a packer is like a chicken breast with the thigh attached.

The flat is much leaner, there are different ways to cook it alone.

The packer has the flat and the point. The point is on the fattier side and it needs time for the fat to render. Best results for the packer is low and slow.

Andy.I've cooked a WM packer before. It's not bad. The ones from Sam's were better quality. Noy sure of the grade on either.

I'm like Phil. Done both. Sams have a better grade of packer but I've done many Walmart packers and have had good luck especially when you use the High Heat method.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Is there a general consensus that the whole packer cut is the way to go? Or is it just a matter of cooking variances if I am smoking the flat and point cuts separately. Thanks again.
-andy

If you can get a packer, do. They are often easier to cook (simply because so many places sell thin, overtrimmed flats). Unlike Russell, unless the packer is of Prime grade or from Wagyu, I think the results are better when they are cooked at high heat (more consistent cook-to-cook; more consistent end-to-end) - but that's a personal preference.

I cook them whole and remove when the flat is done. After a short rest I serve, but save the point for other things - chili, fillings for enchiladas, sauce, etc. Others separate the point from flat when the flat is done and return it to the cooker for further cooking. Lots of options.

A few here buy Walmart packers all the time. AFAIK, from what they've said, they have always been Select.

Flats are fine but if you choose to go that route avoid the thin, the small (go for 5 lbs or better), and/or the overtrimmed.

I think the "over trimmed" warnings are spot on.

Did you ask at sam's club if they had any? My local sams ranges from having a case full of packers to me buying the last one last time I was there. Maybe they have some in the back or could tell you when they'll be getting some in. At my local sams it was choice.

Quau (one of the better competitors on the KCBS circuit) buys them at Wally World all of the time. Thing to do is to visit WalMart often and when you find a good one - buy it.

Dan, even better if you find one that is close to their expiration date and you get a deal on the price
icon_wink.gif

Hi All -

I'm pleased to report I smoked my first packer brisket yesterday and it turned out great. I had my wonderful wife stop by Sams and pick up two packers while travelling through a neighboring town.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Usually packers at walmart are select, although once in a while I've seen choice there.

Sometimes they are not marked at all, but they most likely are select as well.

Back