Walmart Expert Grill Charcoal

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone tried this? The price per pound for the 16lb bag isn't too bad. About 37.2c/lb. I think it's made by Royal Oak, but I'm not sure.

Wal Mart does have their twin 18's of Royal Oak Premium on sale for $8.88. I'll pass. It's about the lowest quality charcoal you can find.

Has anyone tried this? The price per pound for the 16lb bag isn't too bad. About 37.2c/lb. I think it's made by Royal Oak, but I'm not sure.

Wal Mart does have their twin 18's of Royal Oak Premium on sale for $8.88. I'll pass. It's about the lowest quality charcoal you can find.

I tried the Expert Grill briquettes. They were on the small side and seemed to crumble easily, with cracks and voids in the briquettes. They worked, but I wasn’t impressed with them. While I wasn’t exactly paying attention to how long they burned, I felt that they probably burned out sooner than KBB. I guess it was worth the six bucks to try a bag, but I won’t be going out of my way to get them again unless I’m stuck for fuel.

My partner just told me that feels she sensed a chemical taste from them. I didn’t notice it, but she did.

I tried the Expert Grill briquettes. They were on the small side and seemed to crumble easily, with cracks and voids in the briquettes. They worked, but I wasn’t impressed with them. While I wasn’t exactly paying attention to how long they burned, I felt that they probably burned out sooner than KBB. I guess it was worth the six bucks to try a bag, but I won’t be going out of my way to get them again unless I’m stuck for fuel.

My partner just told me that feels she sensed a chemical taste from them. I didn’t notice it, but she did.
Thanks. I had the same experience with the RO Premium. I bought 4 twin packs of that stuff when it was on sale a couple years ago, and after using up the last bag, I decided I wouldn't buy it again.

Sounds like WM charcoal is a classic case of you get what you pay for, so will pass on this too.

I was a little disappointed to read the negative consensus about Royal Oak charcoal. I just bought this bag of their “Natural” charcoal because it sounded promising:

7801D37D-B86C-4CFE-9C83-E4ED4EDD0B0E.jpeg
Most people say that Royal Oak made the well-loved but now discontinued Weber briquettes. I was hoping this would be a good choice, but now you all have me feeling bad😟!

I also bought another bag of this variety from Menards. I don’t know about the South American stuff, but it is a good, albeit smaller size and slightly different flavor charcoal briquette. I enjoyed using it on my Weber CharQ:

8CD824A3-2376-4C8B-A1ED-EFAB5A457F4F.jpeg
Has anyone else tried this one?

I was a little disappointed to read the negative consensus about Royal Oak charcoal. I just bought this bag of their “Natural” charcoal because it sounded promising:

View attachment 31687
Most people say that Royal Oak made the well-loved but now discontinued Weber briquettes. I was hoping this would be a good choice, but now you all have me feeling bad😟!

I also bought another bag of this variety from Menards. I don’t know about the South American stuff, but it is a good, albeit smaller size and slightly different flavor charcoal briquette. I enjoyed using it on my Weber CharQ

ROAN has been my daily driver charcoal, but I just picked up a bag of this that I am going to try tomorrow.

I opened it have today high hopes. Timothy recently wrote about it. I will report back.

I like the RO Classic Premium Hardwood Briquetts. (It comes in the red and yellow bag). In fact that's all I use in the WSM. The Ridge Charcoal sold at Lowe's is the exact same stuff (they changed the bag design in 2018, that's it).

For those who live in OR, WA, and ID, Bi-Mart has the 18 lb bags of RO Classic on sale for $7.99. Going to pick a couple.tomorrow.

And Tractor Supply has 20 lb bags on sale for the same price. If your local store carries it. The one here in town where I live does not, nor do any other stores around here. So Bi-Mart it is...

I thought the ROAN was pretty good, unless it's changed from a few years ago when I tried a bag. But I've found that RO is kind of like a box of chocolates.

Back