Wal-Mart Briskets

caleb worgess

Anyone have good results buying briskets from wal-mart? I don't usually buy meat from wal-mart, but noticed that they sell packer briskets. I've had pretty good success getting brisket flats from Kroger, but thought I'd try a packer this time. Wanted I'd ask here before trying them out.

hit and miss with me. done about half dozen of them over the last couple years. I would probably stay away from them if you can.

Its hit or miss. I bought my first ever full packer several weeks ago, took it out of the package and it was rotting. I returned it and got another one that was fine. The problem is walmart is so cheap, 2.18 a lb vs 4.00 per lb at publix. I wish costco carried it.

My last two walmart packers were great. Can't beat the price and perfect for a first packer. I don't usually buy meat from walmart either but the their packer price is hard to beat. Try to get one that is floppy in the store and not to thin but even across the flat side. I injected my last two and they were plenty moist. .

Thanks for the help! It's a tough call... I can get a packer through a local market, but the price is probably double ($4 per lb) compared to Wal-mart. Guess I'll just have to try it and see. Maybe go extra low-n-slow
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by caleb worgess:
...but the price is probably double ($4 per lb) compared to Wal-mart. Guess I'll just have to try it and see. Maybe go extra low-n-slow
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Since the flats are so lean with less fat to render, I'd recommend cooking faster than a choice brisket, and cooking HH wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

I recommend the walmart cheap route then high heat. The HH let's u get acquainted with the versatility of the cooker and your own abilities. Its your first one so why get up at 5 am to start cooking it only to find out wifey doesn't like briskey or something, and with the cheap one you'll atleast have pizza/beer money as a backup. As your first one its gonna be the best one you ever had regardless of how much you spent and gives you plenty of room for improvement on the 2nd. I find if you go straight from the fridge to the cooker with the meat and let the cooker come up to temp with the meat inside u get a nice smoke ring. But the HH method is very detailed and easy to follow.

Back