Wagyu Searing Advice

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
My amazing wife bought me a Wagyu beef striploin for my birthday, and I want to cook it right....only get one shot to not F it up!

It is actually a pretty thick cut so I was going to actually cut it into two thinner steaks and vacuum seal one up. From what I read, Wagyu seems to be one of the few cases where a thinner cut may be preferred so you can just quick sear both sides and still get a nice, rare to mid-rare interior.

I have a few options for creating a nice hot grilling surface and was thinking maybe 550 degrees or so as a target? Any suggestions for seasoning (I was thinking just salt) or other tricks?

i wouldn't add anything to it except salt. salt enhances the beef flavor and doesn't impart other flavors.

how thick on the original and how thick on the "once sliced" pieces?

for any steak, i personally like a very high temp sear to set the crust and then move to indirect to get to temp. if you're seeking rare on a thin steak, that flash sear, 1100F, flip once, finish sear and then plate it will get you to a rare. i am estimating you're sliced steak is 1/2" thickness. maybe 45 seconds to one minute a side then get it off the flame so the far doesn't run out of the steak.

i'm excited for you and to see your pics on this one. happy bday, @GrantT !!!

video suggestions for you: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=best+way+to+cook+wagyu+strip+steak+

I'm excited to see it too.
My personal choice is to use a cast pan for the sear.
Nice and hot if its thin you may be able to cook it all the way on searing temps in a cast.
It doesn't look grilled of course but the cast keeps the juices right where you want them. It actually doesn't look great when it's done but I tried it this way and it tasted good.
Also second Brett with the salt only...pick a good salt.

Salt and maybe pepper only. I am not a fan of ridiculously high temp "searing". Though if the steak is cut to thin you may have to resort to it. I prefer a 1.5" to 2" thick steak. Cooked over med heat turned often. Look for some of my posts on how I do Prime grade strip steaks. On my old Genesis I typically only go to a Med Low Med setting from front to back and cook the steak(s) in the center. I get perfect exterior crust and perfect color from edge to edge.

Salt and maybe pepper only. I am not a fan of ridiculously high temp "searing". Though if the steak is cut to thin you may have to resort to it. I prefer a 1.5" to 2" thick steak. Cooked over med heat turned often. Look for some of my posts on how I do Prime grade strip steaks. On my old Genesis I typically only go to a Med Low Med setting from front to back and cook the steak(s) in the center. I get perfect exterior crust and perfect color from edge to edge.
please expand further on "I am not a fan of ridiculously high temp "searing."

is it that you prefer a full crusted steak, thus lower cook temps and turns turns turns turns? or does the high heat produce a byproduct of flavor you don't like. my curiosity is getting to me. not judging; seeking to learn more here. TY

for my own preference, i do like the 1100F sear on my CI grate as i get a balance of crust and non-crusted meat and i can get the inside down to a warm, pink color; direct hot sear(s) and then indirect to temp (125F+).

on rib eyes where i want a full crust, i go Lodge CI pan and finish it with evoo, butter, garlic and rosemary spooned across the steak for the last 1 minute.

I don't care for the "carbon" type taste. I see no need for the 500/600+ deg temps some are always raving about. I keep mine in the 350 to 425 range. I get nice caramelization without excess "burning", a gorgeous crust. (I also don't care about magic marker lines). I get sear marks but not the deep dark burned lines some seem to like so much. I like my steaks to have a nice overall crust, nice and red edge to edge. I flip often and pull the steak about 120. Rest accordingly and enjoy. If I remember I am doing a nice boneless ribeye tonight. I'll try to shoot photos again. Though I do have quite a few posted in other threads

As some of you know that Barb and I are big fans of cast iron. I ran across this steak recipe and the results are outstanding. It's our go to recipe in the winter when it's too cold for me to be outside.

How to Cook a Restaurant Quality Steak at Home in 15 Minutes
Ingredients

1 tsp. vegetable oil
1(6-8 oz) boneless steak, preferably ribeye or New York strip
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, peeled and slightly smashed
1sprig fresh thyme

Directions

Pat steak dry on both sides and season aggressively with salt and pepper, using at least ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt per side.

In a cast-iron skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Lay steak in and lower the heat to medium. Cook, undisturbed, until a deep golden brown crust forms on the bottom, about 2 minutes. (You can lift the edge of the steak to check the color if needed.)

Flip the steak and immediately add butter to the side of the skillet nearest you. Add garlic and thyme to the skillet on the far side. Grasping the handle with an oven mitt, tilt the skillet toward you on a 30-degree angle and spoon the melting butter over the garlic and thyme, and over the steak. Continue to baste the steak with the butter until the steak is glistening and the internal temperature reaches 125° (for medium-rare). Transfer to a plate and let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

I don't care for the "carbon" type taste. I see no need for the 500/600+ deg temps some are always raving about. I keep mine in the 350 to 425 range. I get nice caramelization without excess "burning", a gorgeous crust. (I also don't care about magic marker lines). I get sear marks but not the deep dark burned lines some seem to like so much. I like my steaks to have a nice overall crust, nice and red edge to edge. I flip often and pull the steak about 120. Rest accordingly and enjoy. If I remember I am doing a nice boneless ribeye tonight. I'll try to shoot photos again. Though I do have quite a few posted in other threads

I'm from Chile and i never fully understand the obsesion with extreme high temperatures searing that most of the US people rave about. 250-300 celsius (480 to 600 f) is more than enough to sear a piece of meat and get maillard reaction without burn the meat. i'm not fan of the full black grill marks that everyone likes, i prefer a full crusted piece of meat, gently seared with many flips as it needs, that beautiful golden color. I'm starving now.

PS: Sorry for my english

As some of you know that Barb and I are big fans of cast iron. I ran across this steak recipe and the results are outstanding. It's our go to recipe in the winter when it's too cold for me to be outside.

How to Cook a Restaurant Quality Steak at Home in 15 Minutes
Ingredients

1 tsp. vegetable oil
1(6-8 oz) boneless steak, preferably ribeye or New York strip
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, peeled and slightly smashed
1sprig fresh thyme

Directions

Pat steak dry on both sides and season aggressively with salt and pepper, using at least ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt per side.

In a cast-iron skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Lay steak in and lower the heat to medium. Cook, undisturbed, until a deep golden brown crust forms on the bottom, about 2 minutes. (You can lift the edge of the steak to check the color if needed.)

Flip the steak and immediately add butter to the side of the skillet nearest you. Add garlic and thyme to the skillet on the far side. Grasping the handle with an oven mitt, tilt the skillet toward you on a 30-degree angle and spoon the melting butter over the garlic and thyme, and over the steak. Continue to baste the steak with the butter until the steak is glistening and the internal temperature reaches 125° (for medium-rare). Transfer to a plate and let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Everything but the butter when I do this. Smell of hot butter is awful to me. Also no garlic or thyme. I have to wonder "why?" Just see no need to add those flavors to an already fine piece of meat

Everything but the butter when I do this. Smell of hot butter is awful to me. Also no garlic or thyme. I have to wonder "why?" Just see no need to add those flavors to an already fine piece of meat
To each his own Larry. Never said this was the only way to cook a steak.

Lets turn this into a how to cook best steak thread just like " what is the best charcoal "
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
I love all the different ideas posted....I love Brett's approach and Larry's also. Both have their benefits.
Honestly how different can it really be? Would need a blind taste sitting.
I posted how I like the wagyu, with a regular steak I like to go indirect to about 100.....
Take the lid off and add air until the charcoal is flaming and its seriously hot.
I do like some char lines but I don't get obsessive about it at all.
A stereo typical look works for me, pleases everyone's eyes.

I’ve heard people actually prefer Wagyu medium when they eat most ‘normal’ steaks at medium rare. The theory is it starts melting more of that marbling making an even juicier steak. How thick is the steak? If it‘s around 1.5” I’d smoke it at 200-255 until about 10-15 degrees from your target temp, then sear in a 450° cast iron pan with a little clarified butter for a minute or two a side, flipping to an open part of the pan every 30 seconds. You probably want a nice deep brown sear without char on a steak like that.

I haven’t had any full blood A5 or A7, but have had a fair amount of American Wagyu. When I get a really well marbled American Wagyu, I usually shoot for the low end of medium (like pull at 130-135) and let carryover take it to 135-140.

the BEST fat to cook with, for everything. i use some of the leftover cream in mashed pots to reduce product waste. adds a ton of flavor with only a little bit of the cream.
Wagyu Tallow is pretty good too 😉 I just wasn’t going to suggest ordering a can for one steak. Bet it would go well in mashed potatoes too. After all that was McDonald‘s trick (I doubt wagyu though) for years until vegetarians and vegans started crying.

My wagyu I had was about 1/2 to 5/8 thick, cooked quick and there was a bunch of extra fat on it that I removed, froze and then used to top a brisket at about 170 and do it while I am wrapping it in the paper which makes the whole wrap soaking wet. Did it change the brisket???? Not sure, but it was good.

I've eaten authentic Japanese Wagyu a few times, when I worked in S. Korea. The Japanese Brown breed. Sublime. I went to this teppanyaki restaurant, (once!), that did a very expensive surf & turf. Sliced wagyu & king scallops, with fried crab & shrimp. With all the veggie sides and drink there wasn't much change out of $200/person. (Most probably the best meal I've ever eaten).

I don't have the skills/cojonas to buy Wagyu and cook it myself without fear of making an absolute pig's-ear of it. As we all know, it's so easy to screw up a steak or even a burger if your timing is minute too long. 😬

GranT's original question: ....or other tips? Don't over-cook it, and good luck.

Back