Vortex Wings Questions

I hear you...I know there are options out there.

Just a bit spoiled by the space on the Summit S670 I have been using all these years...

Try to find one of the semi grates that is maybe five or six inches higher to go on one side, or put a rotisserie ring on and get a second grate.

...which leads me to my first small complaint of the Performer 22”...

- without the center of the GBS, there really isn’t a lot of room for meat...only fit 41 wings...would love to be able to fit 50-60.

This Year I gifted my Weber Mastertouch to make room for my new Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) and I now sometimes miss it when I need to cook a bunch of wings and some where to place my new Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Ring. I gifted the MT to my good friend and neighbor in which it was stolen from him a few months later. However, I am really happy how the WPD has performed and that ample metal table and propane gas assist are a "killer"!

You stated above you fitted 41 Wings and are they whole wings including the tips?

I recently did a bunch of wings cut-in-two minus the wing tips and I was able to cook around 60 pieces using the Medium-Size Vortex inside my WPD and they were ready to eat in around 45 minutes. So, using this calculation of 45 minutes per capacity, I will be able to grill around 120 pieces of wings in around 90 minutes and I will start the grilling session somewhat earlier before the crowd arrives.

Just thought of another option is to put my Year 2008 WSM 18" Classic on a Grilling mission for the first time ever when needing more grilling space. Just need to figure-out how to best set-up the WSM for a Grilling Session??

Last edited:
...which leads me to my first small complaint of the Performer 22”...

- without the center of the GBS, there really isn’t a lot of room for meat...only fit 41 wings...would love to be able to fit 50-60.
Sounds like it is time to upgrade to a Stainless Steel grate from killagrill or SnS so you are not worried about blowing out the middle and putting more wings around the the grate, but still not over the vortex, or there is always the 26 in kettle...

So weird...the cornstarch ones were by far the crispiest and the best overall. The wings had 1tbsp pepper, 1tbsp salt, 1tbsp granulated garlic and 2tbsp corn starch. So lightly dusted. Wife agreed they were the best.

Plan was to go 45min to 1hr but when I temped them with my thermapen at 40 mins they were all above 200.

After I filled the vortex with coals, I put on the wings and the cover, then got distracted briefly and then looked at the thermometer and saw it was at the bottom. I actually thought it was not working...so took a pic to send to Weber for a warranty claim, later noticed that the temp had dropped to around 600 near the end of the cook. So for the first half hour, the KBB briquettes in the vortex had the temp off the scale...I am assuming 700-800.

Here are my pics....

View attachment 13923

View attachment 13925

View attachment 13926

View attachment 13927

View attachment 13928

View attachment 13929
View attachment 13930

View attachment 13931

View attachment 13932

View attachment 13933
Yeah you are helping me determine my mistake, I followed the below Malcolm Reed recipe and it was too much Corn Starch,
The next time I do wings I am going to try all three ways as well, with a much smaller amount of corn starch.

Have a Slow N Sear, haven't used it yet as the wings were my first cook on the new performer. Just so difficult to get the KillaGrilla Grates here in Canada...they want like $80+ for the grate, plus $80+ for shipping!

Sounds like it is time to upgrade to a Stainless Steel grate from killagrill or SnS so you are not worried about blowing out the middle and putting more wings around the the grate, but still not over the vortex, or there is always the 26 in kettle...

Those wings look killer. Did you sprinkle the corn starch mixture on the wings or toss the wings in it?

Thank you!

Made these last night... the Vortex creates a monster load of head and those wings were perfect. Sauced about a third of the batch and left the rest plain (salt, pepper and corn starch) and dunked them in various dips.

Back