Vortex half full burn time

Matt Currie

Hey guys,

What’s the burn time of a full vortex and a half vortex? Would a full be a few hours? Plan on doing some wings tomorrow and don’t really want to waste a full vortex of briquettes.

Hmm depends on the fuel. RO lump I can get an hour and it's almost spent. RO briquettes over an hour with some to spare. Thats almost full load or 3/4 of a chimney for the med vortex
HTH and Welcome to the Board!

Tim

Hey man. Thanks for the welcome!
I’ll do a full chimney, can I just keep topping up the vortex every hour with unlit briquettes (Weber) and it will stay at the high temps?

Hey man. Thanks for the welcome!
I’ll do a full chimney, can I just keep topping up the vortex every hour with unlit briquettes (Weber) and it will stay at the high temps?

I never tried that ( most of my vortex cooks only last an hour or so) but Yea why not.:)

Tim

Welcome to the forum Matt.
Why so long? Are you doing more than one batch of wings, taking one batch off when done?
You don't need more than a hour for one batch. I'd go full vortex for crispy, that's what it was made for.

Hey Bob and Rich, thanks for the welcome. Just because I host the odd garden party in the summer and if I have the vortex, it would be good to get some chicken breast seared and cooked indirect, then some sausages and then some burgers. Would topping it up with unlit coals work?

The real reason to use the Vortex is its high heat, I usually simply fill the bottom with leftover coals, from the baskets and fire about 3/4 of a chimney, by the time the chimney is fully involved the older stuff below is lit so that makes up a very full cone. When I’m done, shut the vents and it goes out, easy as it gets!

And that cone will last you around an hour and half maybe? I suppose that would last me. I’ll give it a practice shot with the vortex and also with the char baskets and see what happens. Maybe the vortex would be best for wings and low and slow. And my char baskets might be more suited for party’s were I have chicken burgers and sausages and I want to sear and then indirect for some nice party food.

Full cone, easily 1.5 hr.
I’ve only used the Vortex for wings and super searing mostly, for longer cooks (whole birds, roast loin of pork, etc.) I use my baskets. The baskets are in the kettle all the time. The Vortex sleeps in a galvanized bucket when not in use.

Last edited:
Oh my word. The wings took half hour and they were at 170+ and the breast took the same time and that was at 165 (quick sear and then indirect) brilliant. For when I do party’s I imagine if I butterfly the breast it will take half the time to cook indirect. Flipped the wings in some terryaki thick gooey sauce and the other half in franks red hot.
Thanks everyone for the help!

It’s a great tool! Try some KFC (Kettle Fried Chicken) using it, I used thighs and was truly impressed! There are myriad threads about it, look it up, you will not be disappointed!

It’s a great tool! Try some KFC (Kettle Fried Chicken) using it, I used thighs and was truly impressed! There are myriad threads about it, look it up, you will not be disappointed!

I made drumsticks last night as part of the spread for the game using the vortex. One of my daughters, not used to chicken with skin on it that isn't Kentucky Fried Chicken, saw the crisp skin and said "wow Dad, your chicken sure looks dry". And then proceeded to take a bite only to have the juices drip all over her nice shirt. ;) That will teach her to keep her mouth closed until she knows of what she speaks.

It is, to beat a dead horse, a great tool!

Also makes some damn fine taters! Rub W/ oil, K salt and cracked pepper. Add a small chunk of smokewood on top, about 40-45 mins and you get a perfectly cooked smoked/baked spud with perfect skin and a moist, fluffy,creamy interior.

Tim

Back