Vortex and wing flipping

Let me join the other gang - I flip wings once but don't rotate the top when cooking with the Vortex. Wings always came out brilliant so far, it's on my short list now for top grilled food (and I never really liked chicken in my life).

I also cooked chicken breasts, chicken thighs, pork chops, etc. with a Vortex, love the results of indirect high heat cooking!

You guys are killin' me!
Kristof, that is a very handsome grill load of goodies!
I have no children so, Father's Day is out for a gift but, I do have a birthday coming!
Time to go do some yard work! Start fire first, right?

Do the top and bottom of the wings have the same consistency?

Hi Mac LA - I wasn't certain about the answer to your question but I made wings again, yesterday. You are correct; the bottom sides are less crispy. But on the wings that I do the bottom sides either have a thinner wall of skin and/or are open. Wouldn't that affect texture on that side?

Hi Mac,

I've used my medium Vortex just once, ironically enough, for wings and didn't flip them. I used a dry rub and cooked them about 20 minutes.

and the final product.

How about the area under where the wings cook? Must make a mess under there.

If you use a marinade it does, my last run I tore foil paper and placed it at the bottom, helped some.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mac,

I've used my medium Vortex just once, ironically enough, for wings and didn't flip them. I used a dry rub and cooked them about 20 minutes.

and the final product.

Nice! I used a buffalo sauce and lemon pepper marinade last few runs, may try a dry run next time.

Back