Visit to Weber Corporate Offices re: 18" & 22" WSMs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As I said in my write-up, handles on the middle cooking section and bottom grate are features that Weber does not want to add for safety reasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I completely understand the handels on the mid section as being a huge safety factor. Not seeing any issues with safety for the lower cooking grate though. JMO. I have a welder, and will have handles. LOL! Won't be chromed though, that's a bummer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Who needs crome handles? LOL Thanks again, bud!

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Lastly, any discussion of a rebate on the new unit for TVWBB members
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually ... I think it would be a tremendous PR opportunity for Weber to offer 1981 WSM pricing on the 22 incher to all owners of "B" and "C" WSM's. It will demonstrate devotion to their product almost 3 decades after the initial WSM roll-out (it will be okay to limit the offer to original "C" owners and their families). Just a suggestion here.

Jim

p.s. Hello Palatine. I've got the I-Pass and don't mind driving down to pick it up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Bill, I like that mod. Great idea. I haven't strolled thru the mod section in a while. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bryan did my charcoal grate mod, too. Think he spent a couple hours welding for several of us at SmokeStock that year.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff:

Actually ... I think it would be a tremendous PR opportunity for Weber to offer 1981 WSM pricing on the 22 incher to all owners of "B" and "C" WSM's. It will demonstrate devotion to their product almost 3 decades after the initial WSM roll-out (it will be okay to limit the offer to original "C" owners and their families). Just a suggestion here.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a suggestion from someone who has a "C"?
icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe I can transplant the vents and the wooden handle from my 1970's vintage kettle to my WSM and qualify?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
if only we could get weber to market their own brand of superior lump and briquettes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Weber used to sell natural hardwood briquettes. $12 for a 20 lb. bag at Barbeques Galore. Discontinued sometime around 1998/99. You think price had something to do with it?
icon_wink.gif
Hard to get the price down without high volume sales.

They actually market their briquettes in Finland under the Weber brand. 10kg ~ 22lb bag is 12 Euros ~ 17,5 USD. Here the price is very reasonable compared to other brands, specially so because of the very high quality. Last year they were made by Australian company with subheading "Heat beads" (7kg/bag) but this year branding is all weber.

Not to be totally off-topic: Excellent report and very good coverage on the new models. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff:
Actually ... I think it would be a tremendous PR opportunity for Weber to offer 1981 WSM pricing on the 22 incher to all owners of "B" and "C" WSM's. It will demonstrate devotion to their product almost 3 decades after the initial WSM roll-out (it will be okay to limit the offer to original "C" owners and their families). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Jim,
Good idea, but I think the owner of the World's Oldest WSM (R) is entitled to a free one.
icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, I should like to know from Erich Schlosser how I managed to get a WSM that was made before WSMs were made.

Chris, maybe you can mention it next time you talk to our friends at Weber?

I just imagine there are big bins of dampers laying around...who's to say some B dampers from 1980 don't get mixed in with some C dampers from 1981 at some point. It's not the most precise way to date-stamp your cookers, obviously, but good enough I guess.

And at this point, I'm not exactly sure if 1980 or 1981 was the first year of the WSM. Something I will sleuth on...

Redundant praise but I gotta do it...

Great report Chris. Makes me more of fan of Weber's products knowing they seek expert user input.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
Actually, I should like to know from Erich Schlosser how I managed to get a WSM that was made before WSMs were made. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Clark,

A light bulb went off the other day that may explain this situation. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

The Weber 2009 model year begins in October 2008. Weber sent me a 2009 22" WSM with 2008 "DZ" dampers.

If the WSM debuted in the 1981 model year, there should be some cookers like yours with 1980 "B" dampers, but the majority would be 1981 "C" dampers.

Regards,
Chris

Chris, you are a great man. With everything you do for people here on this site and also now in the community you deserve all the perks that are coming your way. Thank you for what you do.

Back