Virgin Flight of the WSM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieson S

TVWBB Fan
Well, just put the meat on about 30 minutes ago for my WSM's first run.
3 rolled racks of baby backs on top (BRITU rub, 8lbs total weight)) and 2 butterflied chickens on the bottom (with a Famous Dave's chicken rub I found at a local store, 8lbs total weight).
Had to use Weber Hickory chunks as I couldn't locate other woods yesterday. Turkey fryer theromoter in top vent is reading 225 right now and slowly climbing. Fired with Minion Method, bottom vents at 40 percent open.
The dog looks hungry already /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
jamie

Hi Jamie,

Good luck with it /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

2 weeks ago today I received my new WSM, but have yet to fire it up yet, we have been plagued with bad weather, if it's not raining, it is windy. I have been dreaming of getting it going this weekend, if only the weather would help me out. Anyway I am sure your ribs are going to be out of this world !

Let us know of your results, and also how fast the ribs went /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I posted some images of my WSM here:
http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=bbqbeerman&AID=810131

Mark.

Chicken came off. Threw it on gas grill for a few to crisp the skin.
WOW. Best chicken I have ever eaten. Nothing better than a Cubs game and carnivourism and no one can stop talking about how good the chicken is. Can't wait till the ribs. If they are nearly as good as the chicken they are gonna put Neely's Interstate and Dreamland to shame. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Jamie

I'm kind of interested too Joe... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif How were the ribs Jamie ??? LOL

Cheers!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

good luck Jamieson. Make me so hungry right now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ribs turned out better than I could have imagined. Being my first WSM run, I was planning on mixed results. After the chicken came off as good as it was, I figured the ribs had a good shot and being good. After the chicken came off I unrolled the ribs, sprayed with apple juice and laid the smaller rack on bottom grate and the larger ones on the top grate to straighten them out. When my curious friends came to take a look they couldn't believe how good they were looking and either could I. Nice deep mahogany color and pulling away from the bones. After another hour or so I basted them with a touch of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and let it glaze a bit then brought them downstairs and started chopping. They were devoured. Nice and pink smoke all the way through, and the only complaint was that I shouldn't have put BBQ sauce on them /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Only complaint from me was that I had to use all hickory (couldn't locate anything else in Chicago in the time period I had) and they had a bit too much smoke flavor. Luckily a friend has a downed apple tree out on a farm in the burbs so he brought me 8 or so frisbee sized discs of apple wood and has plenty more. Next day I used it to smoke 12 brats and it was great.

Last night I rubbed two pork shoulder blade roasts and popped them in the fridge to go on the WSM tonight and cook overnight. Also have 4 racks of spares that will go on when I wake up to baste the butts. Then just sit back, watch the Cubs beat up on the Sox and eat some BBQ /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh and to serve with the Que tomorrow I have selected a fine 2003 vintage Miller High Life bottle that will match the taste of the rub and the Cubs game perfectly /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back