Vieluxe grill

Rick Morrison

My name is Rick from Pennsylvania. I do a lot of grilling and smoking and was gifted a VIELUXE natural gas grill recently. The former owner told me the igniter was bad but he had a new one from Weber. I tried changing batteries first to no avail so last night I changed out the igniter and the ignition module for the main burners and smoke box but still no spark. It’s important to point out the grill actually has two of the ignition modules but he only had one.
what am I missing?

Rick,
Welcome from another Keystone stater. I would recommend you start a post in our Weber Gas Grills sections. Those guys know there stuff and should be able to help you. Me as a coal burner will not be much assistance. Good luck!

You will have some envious folks here, as that is Weber's holy grail grill to some of the gassers here. Please post pictures of the grill and close ups of the parts in question. It will really help visualize the problem as most of us have never seen one in person. Welcome.
Joe

Only replaced one module and igniter but no spark at all. Do we think it needs gas to it to work? I don’t have the gas line run yet. So many wires and I can’t seem to find a schematic on line. I’m sure it’s going to be a simple problem…. Or at least I hope so.

Attachments

• 9C097CA4-0E37-44A8-86FE-9168F614CBA1.jpeg
    9C097CA4-0E37-44A8-86FE-9168F614CBA1.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 288904FB-F4AD-4487-B71D-9DA26418FBF5.jpeg
    288904FB-F4AD-4487-B71D-9DA26418FBF5.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 7000646D-1604-4435-9510-2E494A7F9019.jpeg
    7000646D-1604-4435-9510-2E494A7F9019.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 4E4028DF-91F8-4202-8131-409B7F7170F1.jpeg
    4E4028DF-91F8-4202-8131-409B7F7170F1.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 74
From what you posted it looks to be in fantastic shape. I usually test these things out of the grill and or with a piezo button. I hook up the igniter to the button center pin and ground the side to the grill and if you get spark you know your igniter is good. To test the electronic igniter module I just hook it to any old weber collector igniter box to see if it sparks. Also make sure you test the batter with a tester and put it in both ways as some are different than others. It it a little hard to explain but there are helpful YouTube videos that can help. Do you hear anything when you press the button? If it is working you usually get a high pitched buzz.

So what exactly does the module do? Any grill I’ve owned the push button igniter was wired direct to the sparkler. I mean I’ll light it with a match because it’s such a nice grill.

Those electronic (battery powered) igniters usually make a clicking sound if they are working. Do you hear anything from yours.

If you are sure you have a good battery and it is in correctly, then it sounds like the module might be bad.

But, if nothing else, you could try a call to Weber Customer service. They are great folks.

If you are sure you have a good battery and it is in correctly, then it sounds like the module might be bad.

But, if nothing else, you could try a call to Weber Customer service. They are great folks.
Battery good and in correctly. Brand new module.

Bad switch contact(s). Those are the same modules as the Generation 2 Summits. The 1st gens used a piezo click type

I have the same size Vieluxe and I replaced the igniters with the following:

Bypass the old modules and go directly from the igniters to the electrodes. The 3 outlet one is a tight fit.

I also replaced the fire box electrodes with this item:

Welcome to TVWBB, Rick!

Looks like you got some good advice. I like the idea of going with what Bill suggests if you get no results from cleaning contacts and re-checking. This is way too classy of a grill to have to fool around with a lighter (not that I am above that on a more ordinary grill).

You are certainly blessed to have come into possession of that "Ultimate" Weber, possibly the finest gas grill ever made. I hope you can get it fully functioning and enjoy it. Please post some more pictures as most of us here only get to see a Vieluxe in other member pictures.

Unscrew the push button cap and look inside for an exposed metal contact ring for the spring up towards the top. I recently had the same ignition problem on a D6. I found that the metal ring was partially covered by plastic as a result of a poor manufacturing process on the brand new push button that came with the ignition kit. This was preventing the spring from making contact. I tried multiple methods of scraping and filing out the plastic to no avail and finally just ordered another button assembly on Amazon for $18. Problem solved for me. Bonus points in that it came with a red button instead of black and looks way cooler to me against the stainless.

Last edited:
Congrats on a Vieluxe from Bethlehem PA! You can certainly use that beauty while you work out the igniter so at least it is a small problem!

Back