vertical bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Horn

Just looking to find an upright stand for doing a turkey on the WSM. Thanksgiving is comin' and my turkey meter is about to blow!!

I just had a brain storm. What do ya'll think? All you people that have a turkey frier they come with a stand for the turkey has anyone thought to use it for a turkey in the wsm?

I was thinking of doing it like a beer can chicken except using a big apple juice can half full of apple juice, garlic, old bay seasonings, salt, pepper, and onion powder.

Anybody think this crazy idea will work?

SonnyJ

Sonny --

It will absolutely work as long as you are very careful about moving ANYTHING that is close to your WSM. Make sure that you ...ahem.... spread its legs to provide a three point stance that is very stable. Test it by kinda lightly bumping it around before you put the lid on.

Then you got it made!

You can use a Foster's Beer can...the big one. But you will need to buy 2. One for the cooker and one for the cookee. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

How's about hanging it from the dome???

Then, it would be possible to lift and dunk into a mop of some kind.

Probably not practical, but entertaining. No?

Happy Holiday's all!!!!

I pulled out my turkey frier stand today to test it out. Mine is a little over a foot long and looks like a big treble fishing hook with a flattened bottom, except on each prong there's a small bend (?) to keep it off the bottom of the pot, I guess. I tried seeing how stable it would be on the bottom grate, but the test was inconclusive without the bird on it. By itself, it didn't seem like it would work that well. If you could install the top grate and let the top of the hook protrude thru it, that would work, but the turkey is going to be more than 7.5 inches tall. I also thought about wiring the frier hook to the bottom grate, but am reluctant to try it, as I don't want to chance hot copper wire being in contact with either the chrome grate or the bird.
Amazon has a stand that looks pretty cool for only $12.99. Here's a link to it, which I've thoughtfully edited so TVWB makes a couple nickels off it if you order.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb]Amazon has a stand that looks pretty cool for only $12.99.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Unfortunately, the fine print on that stand says it's rated to 8 pounds, which means it's for chickens, not turkeys. Amazon does not currently carry a turkey stand, to the best of my knowledge.

Regards,
Chris

Linens'N'Things website has the Spanek Vertical Turkey Roaster for $19.99. And just about anybody who lives near one should have a $5 off coupon they got in the mail laying around somewhere.

They describe them as "black". Should be the non-stick, since Spanek's website lists them as only coming in chrome ($21.95) or black non-stick($24.95).

Update: Call the store first. The 3 stores in my area don't stock them.

Reviving this old topic. I've cooked several turkeys with the squat and splayed legs method, but often the turkey starts leaning one way or another and winds up burning one side, or even worse, getting a bunch of soot off the side.

Here's a stand from Amazon that I'd like, but it's been discontinued.

Bayou Classic Turkcan Rack

Hrm, I could weld my own setup like the Texas one, but it would be out of flat stock. I might have to give that a thought. I've been itching to find another welding project.

I created my own turkey stand with some spare 1" flat stock, and rod. I've cooked 3 turkeys on it and all worked great (I'm going to Mexico for Thanksgiving so I'm pre-cooking the turkeys and taking the meat down vacuum packed and frozen.)

Here's the stand I made, pretty easy really

turkeystand.jpg

The image looks a tad distorted, but it's basically 10" square with the rods in a 4" equalateral triangle and the tips all comming together to about 2.5" triangle. Birds sit very well on it. I've done a 12 pound and a 21 pound bird on it, both fit well and are easy to handle.

I used a dremmel to clean up the splatter from the welder, then thoroughly washed it with an SOS pad. Then oiled it with vegetable oil and baked it for 40 minutes at 200 degrees.

Now I just wash after use, ligtly oil and store it in a 2 gallon ziplock to avoid rust.

Here's the 21lb turkey on the stand after cooking.

turkeyonstand.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back