vents

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
ok, just noticed my vents on charcoal bowl have about one sixteenth of inch gap between vents and bowl. Is this a problem you think for proper air controll. I cant bend vents back to make them contact the charcoal bowl. is a sixteenth of a inch gaps really gonna give me problems. thanks for your help.

Yeah, I think they will affect your ability to close down the vents and control air flow. Even when they show closed they'll be open. These things do not require a lot of air to burn and 1/16 inch all around will add up quick. There is a posting in the WSM Modifications Forum you might look at (about 8 down from the top titled 'replacing the vents on WSM'). I'd put in a link to it, but haven't figured that out yet.

Corey, I had the same problem on my 18". No big deal! The areas it would affect are when you want to shut it down after you're done,if the temps really get high and you want to try to bring it down, and the regular air flow. These are all issues that you can live with and work around ,at least for me.Mine have got bent out even more from all the use. I just adjust my cooking style accordingly.It's even possible when you were done putting the new vents on you may have the same issue or worse.
icon_rolleyes.gif

thanks paul, actually what i did was drilled out the rivets, reformed the vents and attached wit 5/16 stainless bolts washers and nuts. Its better then it ever was from factory. Im a ANAL f-ck and this kind of stuff bugs me. thanks

Back