Vent Settings for low and slow

Steve Blackman

Hey WSM'ers, I'm excited, just ordered my 22.5 WSM yesterday off of Amazon from this site. Can't wait to get it.

I am going to be smoking some pulled pork for about 60 people shortly after I get the smoker.

I am wanting to bypass the learning curve a bit and am wanting to get some ideas on vent settings on a low and slow cook. If you could share your ideas on vent setting for around 225 - 250 degrees I would appreciate it. I will be using Lump charcoal. This might eliminate a lot of guess work for me right out of the box.

Thanks

use minion method described on this site...when up to temp, my usaual experience is bottom vents are mostly closed, maybe open less than a quarter if necessary. This will last the first several hours. Also, For low/slow, i use a filled water pan which helps keep the temp around 225.

Let us know how it goes!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Blackman:
If you could share your ideas on vent setting for around 225 - 250 degrees I would appreciate it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Vent settings varry from one WSM to another as the fit is pretty much different on every one. What works for me might not work for you. Just remember to start closing your bottom vents at about a 200º lid temp so you don't over shoot. Even if you do over shoot it's no big deal, really. Butts are very forgiving pieces of meat, and the high heat won't hurt them at all. ; A lot of us here cook them in the 275-300º range. Don't drive yourself nuts with temps. If your temps are running higher, the food will get done sooner is all. Good luck with your first cook.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Blackman:
I am wanting to bypass the learning curve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve-

If you figure out how to do that, please let us know!
icon_smile.gif
I've been cooking on my WSM for 2.5 years now and I'm still refining my technique for better results and/or less hassle.

In addition to the good tips above, I would suggest two things. First, read the instructions for firing up your fuel using the Minion Method and follow them closely. There's nothing difficult about it... you just completely fill your charcoal ring with unlit coal, then light maybe 15-20 briquettes (or equivalent lump) and put them on top. Still, it seems like I often read posts about "I lit a full chimney of charcoal using the Minion Method..." which is actually the complete opposite of the Minion Method. Starting with only a small amount of lit charcoal lets the fire gradually build and is much easier to catch at a particular temp, particularly if you're new to the game. Also, adding your meat to the cooker as soon as you dump in the lit coals helps too. If you tinker with the the cooker until it settles at exactly 225 and THEN add 30 lbs of cold pork, your temp will drop and you'll have to readjust all over again.

The other thing I would suggest, which may help you keep temps steady over the course of the cook, is to not use water in the water pan. Water boils off during the cook, and if you don't refill the pan in time, your temps will start climbing. Instead, you can partially fill the water pan with clean sand, or you can put a clay saucer (like you put flower pots in) into the pan. A 14" saucer is perfect for the 18" WSM, not sure about the 22". I used these two methods for my first two years and love them; the sand/saucer serves as a heat sink just like a pan full of water, except they stay constant through the entire cook instead of boiling off. There's nothing at all wrong with using water and lots of people use that method with great results, but for me it's one variable in the cook that I can eliminate. This summer I've been learning to do low temp cooks with nothing in the pan at all (except a layer of foil). I seem to use less fuel this way, but it takes just a bit more practice to lock in temps where I want them. If you want the least effort for maintaining a steady temp on your first cook, I'd go for sand or saucer in the pan.

Most importantly I'll echo the comment that you really don't need to stress too much about zeroing in on the 225-250 range, especially with pork butts, but these are a couple little things that may help you nail your goal temp right off the bat.

Good luck!

Benny, good advice but just FYI with the 22" I've never had to add additional water. The pan is huge and after a 16 hour cook I still have a few liters left.

Yea, you are right. I wish I could eliminate the learning curve, but that sure isn't going to happen completely. Maybe I can just get a jump on it a bit. I think with these good suggestion I will have someplace to start anyway. When you say the Minion method are you referring to putting the lit coals on top of a bed of unlit coals or putting the lit coals in the center? I have seen it both ways on here. I thought I would try the lit coals on top. I will be using lump, I am hoping it will all work out.

Thanks
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Benny L.:
I am wanting to bypass the learning curve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve-

If you figure out how to do that, please let us know!
icon_smile.gif
I've been cooking on my WSM for 2.5 years now and I'm still refining my technique for better results and/or less hassle.

In addition to the good tips above, I would suggest two things. First, read the instructions for firing up your fuel using the Minion Method and follow them closely. There's nothing difficult about it... you just completely fill your charcoal ring with unlit coal, then light maybe 15-20 briquettes (or equivalent lump) and put them on top. Still, it seems like I often read posts about "I lit a full chimney of charcoal using the Minion Method..." which is actually the complete opposite of the Minion Method. Starting with only a small amount of lit charcoal lets the fire gradually build and is much easier to catch at a particular temp, particularly if you're new to the game. Also, adding your meat to the cooker as soon as you dump in the lit coals helps too. If you tinker with the the cooker until it settles at exactly 225 and THEN add 30 lbs of cold pork, your temp will drop and you'll have to readjust all over again.

The other thing I would suggest, which may help you keep temps steady over the course of the cook, is to not use water in the water pan. Water boils off during the cook, and if you don't refill the pan in time, your temps will start climbing. Instead, you can partially fill the water pan with clean sand, or you can put a clay saucer (like you put flower pots in) into the pan. A 14" saucer is perfect for the 18" WSM, not sure about the 22". I used these two methods for my first two years and love them; the sand/saucer serves as a heat sink just like a pan full of water, except they stay constant through the entire cook instead of boiling off. There's nothing at all wrong with using water and lots of people use that method with great results, but for me it's one variable in the cook that I can eliminate. This summer I've been learning to do low temp cooks with nothing in the pan at all (except a layer of foil). I seem to use less fuel this way, but it takes just a bit more practice to lock in temps where I want them. If you want the least effort for maintaining a steady temp on your first cook, I'd go for sand or saucer in the pan.

Most importantly I'll echo the comment that you really don't need to stress too much about zeroing in on the 225-250 range, especially with pork butts, but these are a couple little things that may help you nail your goal temp right off the bat.

Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just relax and try to have fun with it. There is always a learning curve with BBQ -- at least there is for me -- but it gets less steep with time and experience. I hope you get a chance to do a couple of trial runs before you commit to cook for 60 people though.

The best thing for you to do is learn how your cooker responds to vent settings and environmental factors, fuel, and what you are cooking. And that kind of knowledge only comes through repetition.

I hope I always learn a little something on each cook -- to me it is at least as rewarding as the food itself. ;-)

I think I will try a small picnic first and see what the temps do and how the lump performs. This should give me some kind of indication on how temps respond to vents changes and how long the lump lasts. I am sure there will be a lot more I learn from the first cook and every cook.

I love learning, especially if there is food involved.

When you say the Minion method are you referring to putting the lit coals on top of a bed of unlit coals or putting the lit coals in the center? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Steve-

If you follow the link here, you'll find pretty detailed instructions on the Minion Method. The main idea is to only start with a small number of lit coals. I happen to spread the lit coals evenly across the top of the unlit coals, but however you do it the idea is not to fire up a whole entire chimney of lit charcoal.

Good luck and have fun!

As others have said, the learning curve is a part of the deal because no two of these smokers behaves exactly the same and environmental factors play a role.

That said, at 80F+/-10F ambient, ~70% humidity with little wind and 18lbs kingsford my WSM will hold very close to 250F if the bottom three are ~1/3 open and the top is fully open. I can get 12-14 hours out of that amount of fuel at that temp. I use the minion method to light and it gets to the proper temp within 30 minutes.

Steve,

All the tips you've received are good ones. I also might suggest you use the WSM to cook some sausage, chickens and other less expensive stuff before firing up a bunch of butts for 60 people. You can get a good idea of vent settings without risking a bunch of meat. I do not practice what I preach (my first smoke was a 13 lb packer), but wish I'd played around with it some prior to trying bigger more expensive cuts.

You are going to love smoking on your new bullet. I have guys with $1k+ custom pits sit in wonder at how easy it is to keep my WSM at temp for so long.

Learn the minion method (bury some wood chunks under the coals) and use it.

Also, wrap/line your water pan in heavy duty tin foil. Makes clean up tons easier than scrubbing grease out.

Good luck.

Brad

Thanks Brad for the kind words and bits of advice. I will experiment a little bit before the big smoke. I am going to be limited on time though a bit. I have had experience with a Brinkman electric bullet on smoking pulled pork. I know these are completely different animals, but I am hoping that with all this combined along with everyone's suggestion all will be okay. My only concern will be maintaining a good smoking temp. I will be doing the Big Smoke the day before so I should be able to baby it along.

Thanks

Back