Vent replacement 18 inch WSM

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
One of the bottom vents in my 18 inch WSM may need replacement. Where is/are the articles and replacement vents? TIA. Aaaahhhhh, it's the damper kit shown here.

Last edited:
First before your replace the whole vent what is the whole problem, is it not sealing to the WSM bowl?
Is it loose and moves to Feely. Or something else.
Both of the above can be fixed by removing the mounting hardware, and using A sandbag or a old pillow and with a ball peen Hamer of say 16 oz size you can lightly hammer the vent cup to reform the vent so it fits more flush to the WSM bowl the install new stainless hardware and tighten to your friction level desired.

First before your replace the whole vent what is the whole problem, is it not sealing to the WSM bowl?
Is it loose and moves to Feely. Or something else.
Both of the above can be fixed by removing the mounting hardware, and using A sandbag or a old pillow and with a ball peen Hamer of say 16 oz size you can lightly hammer the vent cup to reform the vent so it fits more flush to the WSM bowl the install new stainless hardware and tighten to your friction level desired.
Kinda' both, wobbles and perhaps the fault lies in the fastener. I already possess the kit and will take a look at the replacement fasteners. And I'll see how well the curve of the vent matches that of the bottom bowl and go from there.

Last edited:
How best to remove the four(4) vent dampers on my 18" WSM 2008 which is attached by Rivits and not screws?? I want to replace the old with the new.

Richard do you own a dremble tool? If so wedge cardboard or similar material under the vent so it will not rotate and slowly start shaving the head of the rivet off flush or just below the surface of the vent itself.
Then clean the area and install new vent with supplied hardware adjusting for friction fit.

Kevin, I think Mr. Dremel would be happy you know his tool but disappointed you don’t know how it's spelled.🤔😉
He was from a small town in Wisconsin, my mother dated him when she was in college.

User either a 6mm or 1/4 inch drill.
This is good info, but as you saw when he was drilling out the rivet the vent was spinning that can cause scratching to your dome surface, and if the rivet was loose to begin with it may just spin in the the vent but not allow the drill bit to bite.
What seems simple can be difficult, so as I said using a small electric grinder you can grind either the head or the pop rivet butt off may take a couple more minutes but will not allow vent or rivet to spin. But both ways will work.

Back