venison ribs

G Rose

TVWBB Member
I was wondering if anyone has done venison ribs. I know the dear i am working with is very mild, a young buck. I also know that venison is very lean. Should I marinate before smoking? I really do not want to crock pot or braise them any suggestions would be great

I always cut chops out of the ribs. But if I were to do them, I'd do em hot and fast. Oak or pecan for wood, cherry if that's all you can get. 2 hrs at 275 ish and foil for about an hr till just barely tender, un foil and firm up. Just salt and pepper for a rub, no sauce or serve it on the side. Some horseradish sauce something conmes to mind here.

Let us know how the ribs turn out. When I used to hunt I cooked venison ribs many times, everyway you could think of and never liked them at all! Good luck, looking forward to your finished results!

well we had the ribs tonight my wife was not a fan the kids and I enjoyed them though. First I brined them in a simple brine salt sugar handful of herbs from the garden a bay leaf and some garlic. I smoked at 250ish for about two hours then put them in a pan with beer onions garlic mustard seeds and a squirt of ketchup. after 2 hours at 300 they were still tough and running out of liquid. I added some water and bbq sauce and cooked for about an hour they turned out tender altough a little bland not really rich like other ribs. This deer was young so the fat was still white and creamy. I did not have to trim it all off and it was not sticky not bad. I would not go out of my way to make them again though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Rose:
well we had the ribs tonight my wife was not a fan the kids and I enjoyed them though. First I brined them in a simple brine salt sugar handful of herbs from the garden a bay leaf and some garlic. I smoked at 250ish for about two hours then put them in a pan with beer onions garlic mustard seeds and a squirt of ketchup. after 2 hours at 300 they were still tough and running out of liquid. I added some water and bbq sauce and cooked for about an hour they turned out tender altough a little bland not really rich like other ribs. This deer was young so the fat was still white and creamy. I did not have to trim it all off and it was not sticky not bad. I would not go out of my way to make them again though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like you did a good job cooking them, but your conclusion is how I feel about venison ribs as well!

Back