Vendors to buy wood chunks from?

BruceS

TVWBB Member
Does anyone know of a vendor who sells seasoned post oak or pecan wood chunks other than fruitawood?

I stopped in a bbq shop today. First time there and the place is awesome. Located in New Holland Pa. Meadow Creek BBQ supply. Do a google search you`ll find it. In fact that Post Oak was one of the items I bought today. They also manufacture their own smokers that look to be top quality. Amish folks run it. Very nice people, friendly and helpful. Look foward to going back.

I stopped in a bbq shop today. First time there and the place is awesome. Located in New Holland Pa. Meadow Creek BBQ supply. Do a google search you`ll find it. In fact that Post Oak was one of the items I bought today. They also manufacture their own smokers that look to be top quality. Amish folks run it. Very nice people, friendly and helpful. Look foward to going back.
My local bbq Shop selling the Meadow Creek BBQs they are monsters! I am about an hour and a half away from New Holland, we sometimes play Efferda (sp??) in soccer. If we play up there in a post pandemic world I am going to have to stop in!

I`m about an hour away Michael. You gotta check it out. They build all sizes and types of smokers. Cabinet, reverse flow, pig roasters,flat top grills. They have a small chicken flipper that might cost me some money. Trying to talk wife into it. She says I have enough grills. You know how that goes. Along with all the cookers, they have spices,meat grinders,sausage stuffers. They even had a refrigerated case with ribs and briskets. Check out their website. Stop in you`ll be glad you did.

Does anyone know of a vendor who sells seasoned post oak or pecan wood chunks other than fruitawood?
Western brand sells post oak through Amazon

Edit: I just checked and it looks like Western is out of stock on Amazon right now.

Last edited:
I have purchased from SmokinLicious and was very pleased with my orders.

Hey Jeff - I'm a St. Louis guy, prior to Covid was getting up around Hannibal quite a bit, mostly passing thru but making stops on occasion! I really like Chigger Creek too - they're chunks are great.

My advice for anyone on chunks is to buy local if you can (at ace, true value, or a bbq specialty store), or buy from an online specialty retailer if you must. Don't buy any brands that sell in big box stores because the wood can go stale based on elapsed time between the kiln and the time you buy and use it. Obviously if you live in the country and can cut and season your own that's ideal, but certainly no longer my situation.

Check out this thread - lots of good info and discussion in this one.

Looking to place a Fruita order for the first time. The local orchard where I bought my last lot of chunks sells by volume and Fruita sells by weight. Does anyone have a rough idea of how the Fruita would translate to volume (eg, the Weber bags of chunks they sell in the big boxers for $7 are .320 cu ft, I bought 1.24 cu ft for $22). I doubt knowing there's a big difference in the amount I'm getting would stop me, but it would be nice to calibrate my expectations.

Yep! Those are the size of the crates I have now. I am trying to compare what I bought with what an order of 20lb of Fruita would be, since I bought two different woods and they'd be roughly the same price of doing a mixed box from Fruita.

I was able to unearth a facebook post from 2017 where Bert says their 40lb orders ship most often in 14x14x14 boxes (about 1.5 cu ft after rounding).
https://www.facebook.com/fruitawood...ference-between-our-product/1891503714419802/

The 20lb box will probably be quite a bit smaller than the local orchard, but of course two years on I can't weigh it to get an idea of what I was truly getting for my money. If it's good quality and having it makes me want to use it, then it's worth the money right? That's what I'm telling myself.

I just ordered a couple of bags of wood chunks from Sharpe Gourmet red oak and pecan. 16 bucks a bag but 13 dollars shipping from Southern to Northern California... ouch. Next I plan to try Western brand on Amazon.

I have seen Smokinlicious recommended a few times. I believe you they're good, but boy that website is offensive to my delicate web2.0 sensibilities, by which I mean my eyeballs.

I happened to find the post oak at my local ACE Hardware, which is where I also bought my latest 22.5" WSM. They have a nice bbq section and they are almost everywhere. They also are selling Jealous Devil lump charcoal (comparable in price to Amazon for 20lb. bags) now as well which I will be trying soon. Just completed a marathon "smoke-a-thon" this weekend, 2 smokers, 3 different meats, (brisket, pork butt and marinated chicken legs). With my first "official" cook on the 22", I used B&B Texas style lump, which was very nice charcoal to use. Got a solid 12hrs before adding a few weber briquettes. Very windy in West Sac, but managed to work through that, and was some of the best food to date. Spent the better part of the week before, burning out & seasoning my new WSM, with some mods. Forgot to take pics of the brisket. Got a deep red, 3/8" smoke ring and was excellent. All for now. Cheers everyone & God bless!

Back