various thoughts and rambelings

Anton

TVWBB Fan
As I sit at work and let my mind wander about bbq I have some thoughts to share and questions you all can help me with.

First of all I was just cruising Naked whiz and looking at info on the Big Green Egg (BGE). When I was at the store to buy my WSM, I saw the BGE there too. I thought that would look really cool on my patio, but the price and capacity kept me on track for what I went there for, the WSM. Anyway, I'm totally glad I got the WSM and will never look back. Once I figured out about this site, it really got me going and it's been wonderful ever since.

Last week I picked up some SWEET new york steaks from costco. I thought I would try the WSM in high temp configuration. So I took off the middle and top sections, fired up a chimney full of briquettes threw them in the coal ring. When they were all burning I moved most of them (maybe 75%) over to one half of the charcoal ring and left a few on the 'cool' side. I put the top grate directly onto the charcoal ring (perfect fit). Worked like a charm! I seared the stakes for several minutes on the HOT side, then finished em off on the cool side. I ended up with probably the best steaks I've ever cooked.

Next topic...

I was wondering when you'all add burning coals to your WSM (maybe in the middle or near the end of a long cook) How do you get them in? Sounds like plenty of you are filling a chimney and firing them up, do you place them in through the door? I have lifted off the top two sections before, but thats not something I recommend at all as there is plenty of room for disaster.

Anyway, back to 'work'...

Anton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:
I was wondering when you'all add burning coals to your WSM (maybe in the middle or near the end of a long cook) How do you get them in? Sounds like plenty of you are filling a chimney and firing them up, do you place them in through the door? I have lifted off the top two sections before, but thats not something I recommend at all as there is plenty of room for disaster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ever since I got the minion method under control how I wanted it, I haven't needed to add any coals midway through the cook. However, when I did, I would actually use good tongs and welding gloves, stand a bit away and pick them up one-by-one out of the chimney and place them through the access door. Not the fastest, but perhaps the safest. And since I usually only needed 10-15 lit coals, it wasn't a big problem. However, this obviously wouldn't be very convenient for 2 full lit chimneys, for example.

Anton,

The minion method works very well for long cooks. Still I sometimes find that I need to add some fuel mid-way (its cold up here in Toronto in January). If you add briquettes you have to pre-burn them, and use safety precautions Adam mentioned.

Alternatively, if you add lump charwood, you can add it directly into the cooker without pre-firing it. You need to do this in advance of your fuel running out, and be forewarned that your temps will drop temporarily. Opening up the vents for 15 minutes or so, can offset the temp dip.

Of course, its still advisable to use some hand protection when reaching into the cooker.

I'll second adding unlit coals. Just make a spot for the coals to be added. If you add them before losing your fire they will light minion style as needed.

Last time I had to add hot coals, I used the access door as a ramp, and holding and aiming with one hand and pouring 15-20 ashed over coals out of the chimney with the other. Since theres nothing but ash inside anway, and it's pretty low in the grate, it acted as a cushion so they didn't move around much, and they all went in very nicely. Just pour carefully, and don't drop any on your feet.
icon_biggrin.gif
It's really not as hard as it sounds.

Since I got the Guru and learned how to use it, I rarely have to add charcoal. If I do add charcoal, I throw in 10 - 20 unlit coals in advance of need.

If I need lit coals on a high temp cook, I use the "U" shaped piece that hides the ballast in a 4' lay-in fluorescent fixture and a pair of vise-grips to hold it and slide them right down and in. I tried aluminum flashing once; it did not survive the experience.

Back