variety pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Horn

got a get-together with the whole fam damily this weekend. i need to know if i can cook a brisket, pork shoulder and some baby backs at the same time. is there a concensus on where to place what, temps, timing, perhaps adding ribs later?

btw, chris, one HELL of a site you got here! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

thanks

Mike,

I would definitely plan on putting the different types of meat on at different times. And if you're not planning on starting very early in the morning, consider an overnighter for the shoulder and possibly the brisket (if it's a whole brisket). Pork over beef is fine (pork fat dripping on the brisket is a good thing). I would figure standard cooking times (2 hrs./lb. for the pork, 6 hours for the ribs, 1 1/2 hrs./lb. for the beef), then add plenty of extra time for preparation and for the inevitable stuff going wrong.

Good luck,
Steve

Thanks, Steve,

Maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew (no pun intended), but, what the heck, ya never learn if ya don't try something new. Forgot to ask---any suggestions on smoke wood for this mixed bag?

I'm partial to cherry myself, largely because I have a free supply. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Fruit woods like cherry and apple are mild and go well with most any meat. If you use a strong wood like hickory, just go easy with it; a little goes a long way.

Steve

Mike,

Where are you in Nebraska?

I grew up in Omaha.

In fact, I was just there last week visiting mom.

I noticed they had a variety of wood chunks at Stoysich hause of sausages in West Omaha.

Uncle Earnie has chunks for sale at his restaurant, too.

Have fun with your WSM.

I almost bought one and had it shipped to my mom's place in Omaha so I could smoke while I was there. Maybe next year.

HJP

Henry (or is it Henry Joe, or maybe just Joe?),

Anyway, I'm in Lyons. It's about 75 miles north of Omaha with a grand total of 900-some humans, about 5,000 cattle and 10,000 hogs. Good place to do some q'ing!

I've been to the downtown Stoysich, its where I used to take my deer every year. They do some pretty good stuff.

I didn't know they or anybody sold wood. That's good to know, cause I was having a heck of a time tring to find good smoke wood around here. We've got very little oak, no hickory and the fruit woods are whatever you get lucky enough to find that isn't bug infested. I just put up about 100 pounds of mulberry. Looking forward to that next year!

What is Uncle Earnie's? I looked it up in the phone book, so I know how to get there at least.

Love my WSM!! Wish I had more time to use it.

Mike

Mike,

The Stoysich in West Omaha at 132nd and center has small bags of chunks (perfect for the WSM) located right under the meat counter. Las week I saw pecan, mesquite, and cherry, and in the past I've seen hickory and apple. In general, the Stoysich folks are very helpful, so if they don't have what you want, they can probably get it for you.

Uncle Earnie's is formally known as Uncle Earnie's Riverside Inn, located in Plattsmouth about 30 minutes south of Omaha on highway 75. Head south on 75, past Bellvue. You'll see his place just on the other side of the river. Uncle Earnie has been winning cookoffs right and left in the area. His restaurant is a bit divey, which some folks prefer in a Q joint. He had big bags of chunk wood for sale, too, although I didin't notice what kind.

In fact, if you keep driving south on 75 there are some orchards between Plattmouth and Nebraska City. You could stop in and ask if they sell firewood. That's what I do out here in California. There are lots orchards aroudn here. I stop in to buy fruit and ask nicely if they have any fruit wood. Usually they do, and often they'll just give it to you for free.

Whether you hit up Stoysich or Uncle Ernie, either way you'll come home with wood chunks, and some good meat. Not a bad trip for a BBQ fan!

Take care,

Henry Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back