Valves - Pipe dope or no pipe dope?

I already bought the Ribeye for when it arrives on my door step. Nice try Bruno.
Oh Bruce you bought the wrong cut for a low and slow amazing machine so Chris is going to have to DQ you and it is coming to me where a pork shoulder low and slow will be the first cook on my new Glenn blue WSM 14!!!

I got a bunch of rolls of this black sticky tape laying around. It says UL certifified so I bet that would work great. It is even sticky on one side.
t0sG1c6.jpg

The Blue tape sounds interesting. Where do you find it?
I got mine from the guys at work but HD seems to carry it.

If using an NPT fitting then use gas rated tape* and a thin coat of something like Loctite 577 pipe sealant, especially if the threads are stainless steel. It will also help to prevent galling. (NPT fittings are tapered threads that are designed that when correctly tightened the threads hold the pressure). Unlike parallel threads that require an o-ring or similar to create the seal when the threads are fully engaged.
*Edit: No more than three full wraps of tape.

Tubing fittings do not require tape on the threads. The metal to metal seal is made by the front ferrule and the tube fitting body, or the flared end of the tube and its corresponding male fitting. But it would do no harm at all put a small amount of lubricant on the threads of the fitting body where to nut screws on to it to prevent galling. More so on larger diameter stainless steel tubing 3/4" and upwards. Something like Swagelok Goop.

Last edited:
My buddy (who actually lives in UK) and used to live here for a bit but moved back to the UK thanks to our stupid immigration laws (I diverse) and is a licensed fitter. taught me most everything I have learned about gas fitting(s). Never tape plus dope. One or the other. And while I know small fittings can be used with tape and vice' verse' he's also the one who explained the reasoning behind using dope on smaller ones and tape on larger ones. But, I am gonna be done here. I stand by what he taught me as he's licensed and truly a craftsmen in everything he does. So hey, it's what I do. Beyond that. People can do as they please

Back