Valves - Pipe dope or no pipe dope?

Yes, the connection of the valve to manifold is NPT threads and should have pipe dope. As Brett states, you want the yellow #5 or one that is rated for gas.

Boy do I feel like a dope.
no one's judging. just watch some YT videos on how to use yellow gas tape before you apply it, if you're not familiar with using it. i use the yellow tape because it's easier to store and use over time. and it works just the same as dope when applied correctly. key word is correctly.

I don’t think you need yellow tape, any Teflon tape would work. You need to make sure you wrap it so that the fitting tightens it on even more, otherwise it will just come off.
We do use dope on bigger fittings but I wouldn’t use it on smaller connections like this. You can always spray with a little soap and water to test.

Last edited:
Yellow tape is thicker, with higher density than white tape. This makes it more effective at sealing gaps in gas joints than the thin white stuff.

Personally, I'd do it the way Weber did it, with pipe dope. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

Yellow tape is thicker, with higher density than white tape. This makes it more effective at sealing gaps in gas joints than the thin white stuff.

Personally, I'd do it the way Weber did it, with pipe dope. Good enough for them, good enough for me.
They do it on price and a vat of dope is less expensive and faster to install than tape. And yes, you cannot substitute white for yellow. Yellow is gas rated for a multitude of reasons including thickness and better sealing.

The sidewinder manifolds have the valves just straight through and gasketed, not threaded into the manifold. I've been using gas-rated pipe dope on them, since the original rubber gaskets are so old, and haven't had any leaks, so.. not sure if it's needed but it doesn't seem to hurt in that application.

Of course use pipe dope on all threaded gas connections.

Dope should be used ALWAYS on smaller fittings. Tape is too thick for the threads and can gall up. Up to 1/2" dope. 1/2" and up tape. Taught to me by a licensed gas fitter. On taped fittings for gas ALWAYS gas rated yellow. On "doped" fittings always proper dope for gas.

Read the back of the package of tape and it will tell you what's it rated for.
I have some Pro Fitter white tape from Fastenal that the fitters used at work for gas lines.
It's rated for that because it's med density, higher then the cheap white Teflon, and you can use that on either water or gas, etc.
If you want one that is rated for just about everything get some Blue Monster, that has a higher density.

Read the back of the package of tape and it will tell you what's it rated for.
I have some Pro Fitter white tape from Fastenal that the fitters used at work for gas lines.
It's rated for that because it's med density, higher then the cheap white Teflon, and you can use that on either water or gas, etc.
If you want one that is rated for just about everything get some Blue Monster, that has a higher density.
25 year pipefitter and I was going to get into it all here but I like to BBQ not argue about Teflon tape.
I almost exclusively use blue monster, it’s a great product and just ran a ton of 1 1/2” gas using blue monster and T plus 2 from rectorseal, The best dope available.
Good luck to all.

25 year pipefitter and I was going to get into it all here but I like to BBQ not argue about Teflon tape.
I almost exclusively use blue monster, it’s a great product and just ran a ton of 1 1/2” gas using blue monster and T plus 2 from rectorseal, The best dope available.
Good luck to all.
i can only speak for myself here. being a total consumer and homeowner, i've only seen and used yellow for gas (big box store crap) and white PTFE for potable water. i'm sure a pro like yourself uses better grade materials than HD or Lowes sells. i don't think anyone is arguing; but only speaking as consumers/newbs/low level home improvement dolts. but let's talk bbq. life is too short to eat bad food.

i can only speak for myself here. being a total consumer and homeowner, i've only seen and used yellow for gas (big box store crap) and white PTFE for potable water. i'm sure a pro like yourself uses better grade materials than HD or Lowes sells. i don't think anyone is arguing; but only speaking as consumers/newbs/low level home improvement dolts. but let's talk bbq. life is too short to eat bad food.
All good!! Enjoy the weekend everyone!!! I’ll post pics of the blue 14” I win from Chris!!

Back