Valuable Lesson

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just learned a very valuable lesson. I just started cooking a prok butt on my WSM. Like I have done before, I placed a remote temperature probe through a potato (no e on that word Mr. Quayle)and put it next to the meat so I can monitor the grill temperature. About 15 minutes later I was getting a reading on the remote thermometer of only 190 degrees. I was rather puzzled as I had a big bed of fresh grey Kingsford briquettes burning away. The temp at the top of the dome was 325 only 15 minutes before when I put the butt on! I opened the bottom vents to get the temp up but it didn't help much. Well I finally figured it out. I removed the dome and discovered that when I had replaced the dome after putting the meat on, the potato rotated and the end of the probe was touching the meat. This was cooling the probe and giving me a false reading! I moved the potato and the temperature shot up to 250 degrees! I shut down the vents and the temp came back down to 230 degrees. That's one thing I won't froget to check from now on. My first rookie mistake, oh well, live and learn

Why is it that a potato will be the temp. of the inside? Or does the probe go through and the potato, and the temperature is derived from a point on the probe outside the potato? Obviously I do not have a probe. Just wondering how it works.

Thank you!

The temp reading comes from only about the first inch of the probe. The potato is used to keep the probe off the surface of the grill. The probe is stuck all the way through the potato so that the business end is exposed.

Steve

Is there a minimum height that the probe should be off the grill? Would it be benificial to cut a potato in half and have the flat side down so it cannot roll around?

Because I often have NO room for my wooden block probe holders, here is an alternate method for probe placement.....

Ribs, if lying flat, simply poke completely thru and measure temp on the bottom-side of rib. If using racks, you can do the same thing except to leave the probe between 2 racks.

Butt, poke probe thru "corner" of butt and angled down near the grill level.

Brisket, again poke completely thru and measure on underside of brisket.

Keep in mind, we do NOT need the probe to be precisely placed, just close enough to give us a good idea.

I am not too concerned about poking holes in my meat. That is one of the more common fallacies of grilling...don't turn with a fork because you are poking a hole in the meat and thereby the juices will run out.

FALSE!!!

Fact is, meat is comprised of many thousands of individual cells and poking through a few of them will not make much difference. Many restaurants use a French jacquard to tenderize their meats and they still manage to come out very juicy.

Stogie

Here's a photo showing how it should be done when using a potato, cut side down. I don't think it matters how far off the grate it is, just so it's off the grate a reasonable distance.

cheese4.jpg

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 07-02-2001).]

I've heard that you can pinch the wire when running it under the cover of the WSM. Has anyone had any problems with their Polder?

------------------

Hi Jason!

I have been running the wires under the lid for over 5 years and have not had a problem. Just be careful and you should be fine!

Stogie

Hey Weber Dave!! How ya been??

Here is another BIG misconception...turning the meat only once!! Even Weber's new book mentions this in about every recipe.

That advice is pure foolish! Stop and look what you are doing......waiting for the juices to come to the surface and then promptly turning it over and dumping them into the fire!!!! Sheer madness!

Instead, sear the meat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Then flip often, making sure the juice does NOT get to the top of the meat.

Stogie

Thanks Stogie. I just bought my WSM after looking at several different smokers. Offset fire box smokers & numerous others. Then I came across this incredible website which totally sold me on the WSM. I must say that this is one of the best wesites for anyone who owns one of these babys. I've already modified it with the Brinkman water pan, Weber worktable, handles on the middle cooking section, & mounted a Trend thermometer. I'm making some pork ribs tomorrow using the BRITU recipe. I can't wait to fire this baby up for the 4th!!!

------------------

My 2 cents worth: I think what's most important about placement of the thermometer probe (in relation to the grill) is consistency. If you always put it the same height above the grill, then you'll learn how your results turn out based on the temp at that point, whether it's 1/2, 1, or 2 inches above. In my case, I mount a candy thermometer with the end about 1/2 inch below the grill (doesn't take up any cooking space that way). So long as it's always in the same place, I can get consistent results in cooking.

Mark in Joisey here...Hi gang...I am new---been using WSM for a month or so. I bought two sets of the remote units at costco---one measures the temp at grid and one goes into the culinary delight. I have used the same cork with a hole drilled into it and the probe slipped into the hole. Ihave whittled down the end of the coek to nicely fit between the grid pattern on the rack. I am very proud of this little setup.

Hi Mark, and welcome to the BB!

Neat little idea about putting the cork through the grate. I've seen the cork through the lid vent hole, but never through the cooking grate. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back