vacuum sealer

James Satriano

I am interested in purchasing a vacuum sealer. Anyone have advice on brands and models. There seems to be quite a wide range of prices. Are the expensive ones worth the cash Any help would be appreciated.

I have a FoodSaver brand, and have been very happy with it. You can go to the foodsaver website, and they have an outlet on there where you can save money.

I was at BJ'S yesterday and checked the Foodsavers as i always do. They have the V1080 sealer with bags, roll storage holder/cutter thingy, a canister and bottle thingy for $99.00. That's a good deal since i paid $139.000 for the same package deal about 6 months ago. They must have a new model coming in so that's probably why the price is reduced. Oh i love it.
icon_smile.gif

Kohls had the big Food Saver with one touch buttons and bullt in bag cutter along with all the vac containers on sale for $89.00 over the weekend down from $149.00 I am not sure how long the sale is on for.

Originally posted by James Satriano:
I am interested in purchasing a vacuum sealer. Anyone have advice on brands and models. There seems to be quite a wide range of prices. Are the expensive ones worth the cash Any help would be appreciated.
James - I did some research on this a while ago. The price of the models between brands isn't the big deal - $40 difference between, say, FoodSaver, over another brand doesn't make a big difference over the life of the product. The real money spent is in the replacement bags.

Something to keep in mind as well... nearly all FoodSaver models use the same engine. So the $250 dollar one has the same sucking power as the $75 one. The difference is in the bells and whistles. I think they may have just come out with a stronger commercial one with a bigger motor, but 99.9% share the same motor.

So... with all that, I decided on a FoodSaver. They get the best reviews, and the replacement bags aren't that much more than a rival model (such as those from Rival). For $40, you get 4 big rolls of bags from Costco. That lasts me more than a year, since I don't use foodsaver every day...

This is something I'm very interested in as well, but I haven't seen a model recommended. The price range on the FS'ers are pretty big.

Can somebody who uses theirs a lot recommend or disuade us from any particular model?

Originally posted by Stephen T:
This is something I'm very interested in as well, but I haven't seen a model recommended. The price range on the FS'ers are pretty big.

Can somebody who uses theirs a lot recommend or disuade us from any particular model?
I had the model 1050 for a time before i ruined it. My fault not the foodsaver's. I went back down to BJ'S and picked up the model that they are selling now which is the 1080. If you go to the foodsaver web site they did have some of the 1050's on clearance for $79.00 but you have to pay shipping. I really liked my 1050 and the 1080. Several others here have the 1050 and love them. We all got them at pretty much the same time. I just happened to run kraut juice into mine thus it stopped working. Liquid getting into the vaccuum pump is not a good idea.
icon_eek.gif

Here's a link to the clearance page Clicky

One day I was doing 4 pork butts to vacuum seal and send to my mother. She loves pulling a pack out of the freezer and having great BBQ in a few minutes.

Anyway, I had just pulled the butts at 10pm and started trying to seal them with my 10 year old Food Savers. It would vacuum but wouldn't seal.

In a panic I ran to Walmart. They didn't have Food Savers, but instead carried a Black & Decker model. I grabbed it and headed home.

But when I tried to facuum seal with it I couldn't get a really solid vacuum. I packed all 4 of the butts into about 1/2 pound bags (that's allot of bags).

I just left them in the fridge overnight and the next morning they were all expanded and had lost their vacuum.

I returned the Black & Decker and went to Sams Club and bought a Food Savers.

I repacked everything with great results and have used the new unit now for over a year.

I trust Food Savers more than ever.

Please go to Wally World and check the prices and supply bags...........
Net prices are no better that I have found............
FoodSaver brand is what we use here.

Thanks for all the great advice. I bought a foodsaver 1080 on e-bay for $33 plus shipping. It was listed as a new unit. It did not include bags but I have now learned that I can get these at costco. Also, no manual, but I found that you can download the manual at the foodsaver website. Anyone interested should check out e-bay.

Originally posted by Larry D.:
I have a Sinbo vacuum sealer, and like it very well. You can read some past posts on this sealer at http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=search&reqWord...rum_scope=1780069052
Larry - Do you have the snorkel one?

I've also been eyeing the sinbo bags that can be used with a foodsaver. However, I just went to their site again, and noticed they have a big caveat that their bags can't be used with FoodSaver. I thought they manufactured some generic bags that could be used with foodsaver at one point. have they stopped manufacturing them? or do they just not work with foodsaver?

Yes, the Sinbo has a snorkel and uses the flat, non-patterned bags. It can also use the patterned, Foodsaver-style bags, although it won't pull quite as good a vacuum with them due to the design. Sorbent Systems used to sell patterned bags that worked with Foodsavers, but no more. I read that they actually made the bags for Foodsaver (Tilia), and sold the same unbranded bags on the side - then Tilia objected and they had to stop selling them. Whether there is any truth to that story I don't know, but when I bought my Sinbo sealer from Sorbent Systems, they threw in 200 free bags (which just happened to be the patterned Foodsaver bags that they no longer sell). I figure they gave me $80 worth of bags.

Back