Vacuum Sealer

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
I have never thought about getting one until now. Smoked a lot of pork yesterday, but ended up not having a party, so a lot of leftover pulled pork. I did a search and most of the info is couple years old, so I am sure the models etc have changed.
Can someone recommend a good model for a casual user. I will not use it too often, as I normally dont have too many leftovers, but when I do would be great to have this..thanks.

I have the Foodsaver that I bought from Sams.

It's been superb, and have had it about 2 years.

I think the model # is 2480, and it's cost was around $120 back then. They make other models that are a bit less $$$$$ than this one.

I bought a Foodsaver just a few months ago. And love it for freezing BBQ. Takes up to 11" wide bags. Think I paid $100, give or take, right from their web sight.

i have the no frills cheapo rival seal a meal. 40 bucks i think at target. have had it for over a year and it works just fine. i vac everything from PP to chili and soup with it.

If you want to test the waters of vacuum sealing, I bought a Handy Vac from Reynolds for 10 bucks at Walmart. It has resealable quart and gallon-size bags. I have used to keep pulled pork and recently used it for some smoked cheese. It works really well. I was able to reseal the cheeses until they were gone. The pork was still good after two months in. It's all gone now!

I have a Sinbo "Keep Fresh" sealer that I've used for several years. It isn't as fancy as the Food Savers, but it uses flat vacuum bags that are far less expensive than the special embossed bags the Food Savers require. I'm sure mine has paid for itself in the savings of the cost of bags alone. They're available from several sources; here's one: http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html

Their web site lists the sealer for $99, but you can get $15 off if you also buy $50 worth of bags at the same time (which would get you 500 8"x 12" bags - how much would 500 of those cost for a Food Saver?) You might call to be sure that deal is still available - I see that they haven't updated the site in a while.

I got a Foodsaver V2840 for Christmas.

Have used it quite a bit and I have been very happy with it. I shot a deer over the holiday season and I vacuumed all the meat from it. Wife made a BIG trip to Costco and I vacuumed away. Did a rib smoke a couple of weeks ago and threw on 2 butts just for fun because they were on sale for $1.09 per pound. Pulled and sealed about 11 pounds of butt meat. Going to have some of it for dinner tonight in fact.

An added bonus is that it looks quite nice (it's black and silver) and the wife doesn't fuss too much if I leave it out on the counter for a while.

Back