Vac Seal dry spices

Todd Randall

TVWBB Pro
Is it worth it? I recently ordered a 1 pound bag of the Chimayo chili powder and I'm realizing it's going to take me a long time to go through it.

Would it be a good thing to take and try to vac seal 3/4 of it?

Todd

Yes. Be generous with the bag. Then when you need more you can snip the corner, pour some out, then reseal.

Todd, I vac-seal my spare spices in Mason jars. The pint jars have a higher success rate of remaining sealed than the half-pints. If you use the electrical tape tab trick mentioned in THIS THREAD the jars will be easer to open and reseal time after time without having to replace the flat lid.

In the long run, it's easier to fill the jars than bags and more economical too.

Of course you'll have to figure out how you're going to store them before you decide on bags vs. jars.

Rita

I do both depending - the jars or the bags over sized technique as Kevin says up thread. I have tried the large rectangle vac canister.

It's very nice but haven't been able to keep it sealed very long. So I use that for the smaller leftover quantities in zip locks that are waiting for the final load into the user bottles.

Back