Using the WSM in a Screened-In Enclosure

Eugene A

TVWBB Fan
Hello, Everyone:

Down here on the space coast, at this time of year, pop-up afternoon thunder storms are routine.

I'm planning a smoke of some baby backs tomorrow. My initial game plan is that if rain is in the forecast, then I'll use my gas grill. Otherwise, it's the WSM.

I have a screened-in patio, what we muckety-mucks call a lanai. It's screened on two sides, and there's a ceiling fan. I was wondering about the advisability of using the WSM in the lanai. The floor is concrete, and I'm figuring that the smoke would vent through the screen if I keep the ceiling fan on low. Then again, I'm figuring that the smoke would create a tell-tale soot line near where I place the WSM.

I should know better. But on the VWBB, everyone else seems to have more knowledge than I do. So, I appeal to that knowledge base. What say you?

I have smoked in my garage during bad weather with no problem. I hung a box fan from the ceiling joists and turned it on low to blow the smoke out the overhead door. As long as you have some air circulation, you should be ok. Setting the ceiling fan on 'push' rather than 'pull' would likely work better.

Jeff

Don't use the ceiling fan, my brother-in-law did this on his screened porch and all it did was push the smoke lower. Once he turned the fan off the smoke stayed up then eventually seeped out the screen.

If you do this a lot it will eventually discolour the ceiling but on the odd occasion it shouldn't be a big problem. A fan blowing out that is set up by one of the screens would probably work better than the ceiling fan.

I use mine under a "lean to". Enclosed two sides (neighbours fence and the house itself), and has corrugated perspex for the roof. No problems at all, in fact it performs better when the weather is poor because it is less affected by it.

I would place the WSM on the perimeter and use a different fan to blow the smoke out horizontally.
Eventually you may want to consider building in a smoke capturing ductwork system such as used over an indoor open pit.
It could be made architecturally pleasing.

the only thing I have to add is do not leave the lid off for long. I turned mine into an upside-down rocket engine once while cooking a brisket or butts --- I was running a dry pan, I took the lid off and left it off, maybe I was looking for a thermometer or whatever. It wasn't much over 2 minutes & the fat in the pan ignited. I slapped the lid back on real fast and although there was some extra soot looking stuff on the meat, it was still good.

Yep, you really need good cross ventilation to move the initial white smoke and carbon monoxide gasses out. When it's crappy out I also set up right inside my overhead door. The ceiling fan I use in front of the window swivels horizontally and vertically.
20130330_095546.jpg

Tim

I truly understand your dilemma, I smoke in my birdcage all the time although I know it is different. Not knowing how big your lanai is you should be OK just keep a fan on to remove the smoke out the screen. I am also smoking tomorrow and steaks today on the kettle (which I worry more) but anyway, I have done silly stuff like this just to keep rain out of the top vent. It's just the price we pay to live down here.

Good luck and happy Fathers Day
Dave

I think everyone has pretty much already answered your question that this can be done.

I just wanted to add, since I have used this technique as well, that if you use a good floor fan to keep the air circulating and blowing the smoke out, make sure it is far enough away from the bottom vents so that its not creating too much air movement and wreaking havoc with your temps. Just like cooking on a windy day. A decent fan placed to close will do this, but just move it back some and it wont be a problem

Thank you, everyone.

I can place a floor fan near the inside wall furthest from the screen, and place the WSM near the screen furthest from the wall. Between the fan and the cross ventilation that should take care of any smoke build-up.

As far as cooking outside in the rain, those intermittent storms, though brief, are a bit nasty sometimes. But, maybe I'll tempt the hand of fate...then again, maybe not.

Still, all of you have given me what seems to be good advice. Once again, I made the right decision, i.e. coming here for advice.

Back