Using oversize saucer to decrease gap to middle section?

KeithG

TVWBB Fan
When I have a lot of meat in the WSM and need to use the bottom grate, I have found that if I don't keep the meat inside of the waterpan edge on the bottom grate, the meat really cooks faster over that edge. I use a clay saucer in my waterpan, but it is the same size.

So I have been thinking about getting an oversize saucer, remove the waterpan entirely, and just use the bigger saucer. It will decrease the space between the saucer and sides of middle section (was thinking maybe down to a 1/2") while still allowing the smoke room to flow up. Any thoughts on this? Anyone tried it?

The one downfall I was thinking of is that the saucer may not sit right on its part of the bracket, and therefore, the bottom grate won't sit on the upper part of the bracket and may rest on the saucer.

Thanks for any info.
Kg

I seriously doubt that 1/2" will allow for enough draft.

I've started either rolling and skewering ribs or racking half slabs on the bottom grate, and I only put my largest pieces of chicken in the "hot zone". I've had no problems with pork butts yet, but I hear it's a good idea to put some trimmed fat under the ends of bottom grate briskets.

Kieth,I bought a huge clay saucer. It barely fits in the water pan! For smoke day,I did three butts and a brisket. Absolutely no problems with temps!

Phil: what size is the gap between the saucer and the WSM middle section?

Do you have the 22WSM or 18WSM? If 18WSM, what size was the saucer?

I have the 18WSM and I am pretty sure my saucer is 14". I am thinking about getting a 16" and trying it.

Thanks for any help.
Kg

Back