Using Non-Stick Cooking Spray for Grilling & Barbecuing

Not to beat a dead horse, but the caveat/twist to this discussion is the injection of the aluminum grill grates, see below:

If you are you using these on a charcoal grill there is no impact on the food regarding flair-ups.

Whatever works best for you is the best option. I drizzle a little light olive oil on any protein that has a propensity to stick, but the idea of using non-stick spray is intriguing and I'll give it a whirl.

I usually oil the food, brushed on, and I never oil my grates nor need to. However, I typically use PAM on my grill racks (like baking racks), just to make them easier to clean. Foil in the bottom of the pan helps as well of course. The wife uses PAM for all kinds of baking things. I'm only familiar with the eating part of that operation though.

I friend gave me a “Misto” manual pump up sprayer, I now have three! One of the best kitchen gadgets ever! I have several aerosol sprays as well, I like the avocado oil quite a bit.

Misto pump sprayers are $18 for two on Amazon at that moment. Usually $10-$12 each depending on where you buy them.

I do have a pump up sprayer but haven't used it for awhile, yes it will flame up on a hot set of racks with olive oil in it, I spray mine lightly every time I use them with no off taste

Some of the folks up here use rendered bear fat on most everything.
The local bears here eat crazy amounts of wild blue berries, huckle berries and black berries.
The rendered bear fat actually has a berry taste to it.

Probably would work great on a griddle.

My late friend one day said to me, "hey come on up to the house and we'll throw some bear steaks on the grill". I thought "bear" was a brand of steak. I didn't think he meant BEAR. Gotta say it was disgusting at best. I grinned and "beared" it. But, I never want to ever eat that again.

My late friend one day said to me, "hey come on up to the house and we'll throw some bear steaks on the grill". I thought "bear" was a brand of steak. I didn't think he meant BEAR. Gotta say it was disgusting at best. I grinned and "beared" it. But, I never want to ever eat that again.
Properly cooked bear, like properly cooked venison, is quite good. But, again like venison, when it's badly cooked it's awful.

It seems like 90% of the time, it all falls into the "awful" pile.

The guy was an actual trained chef. Used to be the head chef at the old Playboy Club in WI. But IMO no amount of cooking can make something taste good that's already so awful :D

I’ve had bear, and I agree that proper care and attention can make for a fine product. Even the head chef at the Playboy club in Lake Geneva can have an off day.

Sure we all can. But no matter how you "dress" it up, it's still nasty stuff. Same goes for venison in my book. No use for it

I’ve had bear, and I agree that proper care and attention can make for a fine product. Even the head chef at the Playboy club in Lake Geneva can have an off day.
At the risk of being chastised for being off topic, I totally agree. I've had both black and grizzly bear, and, if proper care during harvest, and especially during the correct season, both can be excellent. I either has been eating fish, all bets are off.

Back