Using dried chilis in rub mixtures -methods

k walsh

TVWBB Super Fan
This has probably been discussed previously but I hope I can ask it again.

How do you prepare the dried chilis for grinding and what appliance or utensils are you using?

Does the method differ by the variety of chili pepper? Do you remove seeds in some peppers or do you alway leave seed in the peppers and grind them as well?

Thanks
Ken

I roast them in a cast iron skillet for just a few minutes. Be careful, they can burn FAST! Usually, the thinner the walls of the peppers, the drier they will be and need little roasting. Thick skinned ones like anchos can still be a little soft. I'll butterfly those open with scissors and let them air dry for a day or so before roasting and grinding. I always remove the seeds.

Paul

Ken,

If they're dry, then they're ready to grind. Personally, I use a coffee grinder. I cut up the dried pepper, remove seeds and stem and grind to the consistency I want. If you only have one grinder in the house and don't want to be surprised by coffee-chipotle the next morning; simply run some uncooked rice through the grinder to clean out any remaining pieces of chili/coffee.

If you're starting with fresh peppers, you can use your oven to dry them. Make a slit into the peppers to help moisture escape or cut the peppers in half and on the lowest setting, let the peppers dry until they are like dry leather. A little flex in them is fine.

Once dried, the peppers can be stored in the pantry for months. It's only when you've left too much moisture in them that they will spoil.

Paul

Personally I take out any seeds that "fall out" when I'm breaking up the chili.

I guess you could toast them if you are going to use immediately as this would certainly enhance the aroma, but if you are storing ground it's not really necessary.

I use a standard coffee grinder... in fact the model was just on sale at Canadian Tire for around $15.

I cut up the dry chilis with a pair of sciccors first so I have a uniform starting point and can get more in my grinder. Beware of inhaling when you open the grinder. I got a very small amount and went into coughing fits for 5 minutes.

I ground Chipotles the other day and found that the coffee I ground the next day really didn't have any added "flavour". Just make sure you wipe it clean.

If you plan on grinding stronger spices definately look at buying a separate grinder. Cumin, corriander, cardimom, cinnamon, allspice or black pepper will certainly leave a lingering flavour that I doubt you might not want in your coffee.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Paul, why do you remove the seeds before you grind? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the internal membrane that generally holds the most heat. The seeds are connected and they too can add some heat. By removing the seeds along with the membrane, I can control the heat better. With dried chiles, there's not a lot of membrane to clean out; but if you scrape with a spoon, you can get most of it out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do the seeds add any heat or taste? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Technically no. But do to their proximity to the membrane, they can carry some of the heat. Most people either leave the membrane and the seeds or clean both out. They don't clean out only one. The seeds hold no flavor.

Paul

Back