Using bottom grate

William Blackwell

TVWBB Member
Ok, New WSM 22.5 arrived yesterday.

I've been reading up quite a bit the last couple weeks but am planning on my maiden voyages to be Saturday and Sunday.

Both days, I plan on using the bottom grate for more food and think it will be ok except that I may need to roate the food top to bottom so they come out the same due to the small temperature difference... I'm hoping you will agree or offer suggestions.

Saturday will be the Beginner Chicken recipe except I have 4 birds instead of 2. I plan on using Kingsford and following the directions..

Sunday will be the BRITU except I have 6 slabs of ribs. I was planning on using Stubbs charcoal and the Minion method but maybe I should stick with Kingsford and the directions..

Suggestions?

I would not move food from one rack to another.

I have a lot of experience with the WSM 18. I do six racks of ribs all the time. I put a probe in the thinnest rib on the bottom rack & one likewise in the top. They are usually pretty close in their measure but there are a lot of factors that may make the readings erroneous. Anyway, when one of the probes reaches 190 I take all six racks of off. There is debate as to whether taking temps on ribs is valid but it works for me. FWIW I sell ribs to friends & coworkers & they love 'em.

William, if you want to compare one coal to another then by all means go the route you planned. No harm.
I agree on not moving the meat unless you want or need access to the meet on the lower rack for basting, spraying or turning. The temp difference is there but not significant IMHO.
Your experience may vary.

Mark

Agree. Relax and enjoy! The dogs will love them regardless...
icon_biggrin.gif

Rich

Thanks for all the help. I won't rotate them or even peak for 3 hours...
icon_smile.gif

Any thoughts on the chicken since it is a high heat cook w/out water in the bowl?

I think it all turned out good! I've been staying at the lake with minimal internet access and this is my first time at a real computer.

My first event included packing it all up and moving it to Lake Moultrie for the weekend.

Saturday I fired up the grill in the afternoon and started with some basic ABT's for a snack and then added 2 chickens (halved) on the top rack. Ended up with less people and didn't use the bottom rack at all. I may have used to much rub but ended up eating it all (some leftovers on Monday/Tuesday).
icon_smile.gif

Sunday I got up at 6:30 am and prepped 6 racks of ribs. Let them rest from 7:00 til 8:00 and put them on. No probelems with temperature other than being careful with the vents which caused me to take almost 40 minutes to reach 225. finished per the recipe at 5.5 hours. The bottom got moved to the top rack for an extra 15 minutes while a sauced the first three racks but I don't think it had any effect. Added about 15 hot dogs too!

The bottom looked a little more pink but I think it was just a larger smoke ring. They still passed the tear test very well as they would break in half when picked up with the tongs... TASTED GREAT! Sent a lot of the extras home with the family but still had some for lunch the next day.

I've only got a couple pics as I was too busy with family stuff but I have to get a web hosting account to prove it happened!

Back