Using a winco mixing bowl as a water bowl

i ordered teh bowl that is listed in the alternative pan part of the site, and i didnt look at the dimension. the MXB-1300Q must have changed sizes where it was 14.75, where the same model is now 16. its my fault that i didnt confirm dimensions, but im hoping to see if anyone knows of a different mixing bowl that would work?

As discussed in other threads, ordering the Winco bowl off the internet is a crap shoot. I bought three labelled as the right size. Two came wrong one came correct.

If you can actually get the correct/intended one, it fits fine.

As discussed in other threads, ordering the Winco bowl off the internet is a crap shoot. I bought three labelled as the right size. Two came wrong one came correct.

If you can actually get the correct/intended one, it fits fine.
its not even a matter of a "crapshoot" they have literally changed the dimensions of it to actually be advertised as 16", and if you look at the reviews, others say the same. using other sites, that may or may not be safe, you can see that it was once offered as 14.75

See link above. There are two different bowls that get sold under the same name.

You are like the 10th person this has happened to.

If you order/return/order/return enough, eventually you will get the correct one.

Fill up the too big one you got with water. I bet it is more than the advertised 13Q.

Best way to get the correct one is to look at a picture. You want the flatter one in the pictures above.

See link above. There are two different bowls that get sold under the same name.

You are like the 10th person this has happened to.

If you order/return/order/return enough, eventually you will get the correct one.

Fill up the too big one you got with water. I bet it is more than the advertised 13Q.
well, thats where the problem lies. using chris' link, it brings you to the bowl that is 16". it isnt a fact of getting the wrong bowl versus what i ordered. i got the one ordered, because that link brings you to the amazon store page for the 16" bowl. i guess ill have to search amazon to find the right one

Try this link. Looks to be the right one.

Says 14.75 wide. Also marked 13Q.

Chris' link led me to the wrong one too..

Let us know if this results in the correct one. If so, email Chris and give him the good link.

Your welcome!

ya. i found it on another site as well.

based on the research i did, winco as a company doesnt offer the mxb-1300Q in the 14.75 diameter. Period. every bowl on their website in the 13 qt size is 16 inches, or just over. what likely happened is, winco changed the dimensions of their 1300Q bowl to be 16", and then would explain a few things. it would explain why the link brings you to the amazon store page that sells the 16" bowl, but also explains why sometimes it is hit or miss with some getting the 14.75 versus the 16. some sellers probably have both sizes, and when that specific model is purchased, they send you that model, and then is a luck of the draw as to what size you actually got;. the old size, or the new size.

if winco still made a 14.75 version, i would suspect that they would have it on their own website, but they dont, and with that, i might try other routes of finding a bowl locally before ordering another, and have it possibly be the new size versus what they are advertising for dimensions, without actually realizing iit

also, just in case anyone reads this, the link one this website, as mentioned, brings you to a winco bowl that advertises 16 inches. i just for the sake of checking, i checked the bottom of the bowl for the model that winco puts, and found that the seller sent me the size they advertised, but a brand called star crafts, and not winco.

The link I posted above states the exact dimensions.

14.75 x 3.5 is the size that fits. Labeled 13Q.

The wrong one you got from Chris' link is 16 x 4.5. Also labeled 13Q.

They obviously both can't be the same 13Q capacity.

Trust me. Order from here and for $9 you will get the correct bowl. If not, I'll send you a check.

Winco MXB-1300Q Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl 13 Qt.

The lightweight and easy to use Winco MXB-1300Q Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl 13 Qt.is excellent for all your mixing purposes. From mixing sauces to mixing batter, this all-purpose bowl is a durable and dependable bowl for commercial kitchen and home use alike. Made of stainless steel, this mixing bowl sports a shiny mirror finish that is easy to clean and maintain, while its 13 quart size makes it perfect for larger mixing jobs, like kneading dough or assembling cake batter.
  • Mixing Bowl
  • 13 Qt.
  • Stainless steel construction
  • Shiny, mirror finish
  • Easy to clean
  • Dimensions: 14-3/4" x 3-1/2"
  • Construction: STAINLESS STEELCapacity: 13 QT

Honestly, I don't think Winco gives a crap about offering a standard sized bowl, they have varied a lot over the years since I wrote that article. I guess I should remove that link.

ya. ive found a few vendors that advert the right dimension, but the worry comes down to whether or not they are advertising what they have in stock, versus new stock they may have gotten from winco, which would likely be the bigger size. im quite certain that they have changed their dimensions over the years, which is fine, but if the older stock has been sold off, and the retailer hasnt even bothered to change the product description, then im in a spot of where i am now. the cost is minimal, but looking at the many vendors i found last night, there is something amiss with the websites. they all seem to be copy/pastes of each other, with a different company name. i believe that they all are the same vendor, and reputable vendors dont do that with their website.

reviews of any website that i could find that offered these bowls are quite bad, but for the sake of science, im going to order one. the spokane restaurant equipment is 32 bucks to send it, so ill skip that one. the able kitchen, even though their reviews are very concerning (50% are 1 star), the shipping is only about 13 bucks, so assuming that they send anything, i should be ok.
I also have another option that i may have figured out, but i need to go to Ace to measure it.

I will follow up when i get it.

I am real happy with the replacement pan on my wsm 18.
It’s a 2” deep dish pizza pan that fits like a glove.
I posted a link to it in the wsm mods section here.

Found this at ave hardware. It a lid to a mini garbage can. 14.75 inches, edge to edge. Holds 5 qt of water, which is less than I would like, but will work if the bowl that comes, does not
View attachment 93982View attachment 93983View attachment 93984
I'd be wary of metal (fume) fever. When exposed to high heat, galvanized steel can give off zinc oxide fumes, which are not healthy to breathe. You may end up with just a headache, or in other instances, flu-like symptoms.

If its a concern, get a half respirator mask with adequate respiratory protection and a weed burner and remove the toxicity threat by high temperature scorching of the pan. There are commercial grills that use galvanized charcoal grates. I used a galvanized set of pans as a Piedmont pan baffle in an ugly drum, which I had scorched, without incident for eleven years.

I knew a guy that did garbage can turkeys for his daughter’s brownie group.
He would put hot coals right on the sides of the garbage can with the bird inside of it.
He said they were very juicy and tender due to moisture being trapped inside
He thought I was a nit picker when I brought up safety concerns and I thought he was nuts exposing others peoples kids to that.
I wouldn’t even trust trying to burn all the zinc out of if first.

While you research galvanized metals, take a look at the dangers of low chromium stainless steels. Such as low grade, !ow cost bowls like the common replacement stainless steel bowl. Everything in life has a risk. Always protect yourself.

If your still unfazed after that search, research on grilled and smoked foods. A risk in everything is what I see. Will I stop grilling and smoking?...no. Is porcelain my preferred choice for the water pan? Yes, as it appears possibly the safest option for the dangerous art of grilling and smoking food. 😉

Back