Using a smaller charcoal base/ring for the 22" WSM

Troy S

TVWBB Fan
I searched around and noticed a few other threads about this topic, but I’m hoping to run a couple of experiments in the near future and bump/update this thread as I do so. I implore anybody else with even an inkling of similar motivation to do the same if you wish, just to join me on some findings that we can collectively talk about.

I love my 22” WSM. It is fantastic and it works for me because I love to load it down with a horde of food for family/friend get-togethers. For these cooks, of course, I always load up the charcoal ring, using a full bag. The only qualms I have with my WSM is the access door (thinking about going ahead and buying the Cajun Bandit door) leaking smoke, aaand the fact that it uses a monumental amount of charcoal. I have a Thermoworks Smoke to check out the grate temperature, but I rarely even use it for grate temps anymore, because after 75-100 cooks in about three years of using my WSM, the unreliable stock temp gauge isn’t an issue with me since I feel I know the cooker enough by now to figure out where I’m at based on pure guestimation, which hasn’t failed me after plenty of fun, awesome experiences.

Anywho, I read a short thread on here from over ten years ago, where the original poster asked if anyone had tried to use the ring from an 18” WSM on a 22” WSM.

The man, the myth, the legend Chris responded with this:

Conceptually, I don't think this makes any sense. The 22" has much greater volume than the 18", and it's going to take more fuel to heat up that space regardless of which charcoal chamber you use. My guess is that if you used the 18" chamber you'd end up running the bottom vents more open in order to burn more fuel to get the temp up to your target.

Another poster, Dan N., responded with a disagreement to Chris’s thoughts. Dan stated that he has used the 18 WSM ring in his 22 and his experiences were that he managed to get 6 to 8 hours of a maintained smoking temperature.

I’m not well versed in the realm of science and physics, but Chris’s statement that the bigger space of the 22”, with much greater volume potential (40%?) vs. the 18”, would cause issues with using an 18” ring.

I have to admit, I’ve considered buying an 18” WSM to add to my outdoor cooking arsenal for smaller, yet still quite large, cooks just to be able to use less charcoal in those instances. However, I just haven’t pulled the trigger. Somebody, about an hour from where I live, posted in the ‘buy, sell, trade’ section on a social media site featuring a barely used 18” for $100 and I was going to jump all over that, but a lucky person beat me to it!

Alright, I’m long-winded so I apologize for that, but back in 2018 I bought two drum smokers. I won’t list the brand name, but it is not the country’s most popular leading brand in that category of smokers. I love using them for quick, smaller cooks and I enjoy the hot’n’fast nature of them. One is a 14” and the other is an 18”. Both feature removeable charcoal bases.

Last summer, I placed the 18” charcoal base from that particular drum smoker and put it in the 22” WSM and quick-smoked some chicken breasts that turned out flavorful and juicy. However, that wasn’t exactly smoking, and I didn’t use the water pan as a heat deflector. However, it turned out to be a success as far as a smaller charcoal base in a bigger cooker goes. I had it completely loaded down on both grates with chicken breasts. They were butterflied in order to quickly cook them and avoid drying them out.

I don’t plan on using the 18” charcoal base from the drum smoker to do anything like smoke a pork butt or brisket in the 22” WSM, but I want to try it out for smoking ribs and wings soon. Especially with a birthday party for a dear family member this weekend, which I’m going to try doing this with a huge slew of wings.

What say you, my fellow WSM fiends? Hey, I can’t help it. I love experimenting and trying new things like this out, even if they don’t work as efficiently.

I frequently use the smaller charcoal ring from my 18 in my 22. Anytime I'm cooking ribs or using the rotisserie, I use the smaller ring. On overnight cooks for brisket and butts, I use the big ring.

I frequently use the smaller charcoal ring from my 18 in my 22. Anytime I'm cooking ribs or using the rotisserie, I use the smaller ring. On overnight cooks for brisket and butts, I use the big ring.
I ditto that and have messed around with even smaller diameter but taller rings.

Back