Used a Charbroil door to fix a Spirit Grease Tray

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
I stripped down an old Char-Boil for the sheet metal somebody tossed a few weeks ago as prices for sheet metal at Home depot are... lets just say costly. I got this Spirit that the cabinet and drip pan had seen better days. A new drip pan for this grill costs only slightly less than the grill is worth. I chiseled out the rivets that hold the inner door to the outer door on the donner Charbroil to create 2 pieces of metal. Used a snips to cut to size and for the grease opening, then just screwed it over the old rusted out pan. I think it came out OK. I showed what I did to the people that just bought it and they did not seems to mind.
20210416_223537.jpg20210416_223636.jpg20210417_120023.jpg20210417_141357.jpg

Ok - Since you seemed to like that one - Here is one we face on almost every build, the gas collector on the igniter! I have a box of igniter buttons because they don't sell the igniter / gas collector separately. If they still work but the top is burnt off so you have to hit the button a bunch of times to get the grill started this is another use for the Char-Broil sheet metal. The igniter works on first shot now. I used one screw in the bottom to hold it on.
20210418_121301.jpg20210418_121527.jpg

So, do you just mold that thing around the old igniter gas collector?
I measured the collector box at a little less than an inch a side and put the strip in my vice and bent it with a hammer. I then drilled a small hole in the bottom and used a screw. It actually held well without the screw but a little insurance.

Cool, but did you simply use it as a wrap for the original collector or did you fab an entirely new one?

Yeah, and probably last a lot longer, too. This could be a neat little niche for someone to get into making a heavy gauge new replacement piece. But what you did, Joe, certainly for personal use, is a great fix!

Yah, those little stainless boxes are worth about 5-6 bucks each. I have a couple dozen piezo igniters. Many of them brand new. Usually, all I need is the stainless gas catcher, but have to buy the whole set.

Back